Have been looking at power amps- RMX/CROWN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thbass, May 14, 2005.

1. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    New rig, thanks to A-Hole who totaled my car and Ampeg ss head.

Still have my 4 0hm Avatar 2X12 which was at my Drummers house.

Tomorrow, I have deal to pick up Alembic F-1x preamp in what appears to be great condition.

Now, need an amp.

Am looking at
    Crown CE1000 (gently used)
    Crown XLS 402 new
    QSC RMX 1450 new
    Stewart 2.1 used (trying to make that deal- may not be succesful).

Have gotten mixed reviews on the Crown XLS and CE amps. Here on TB, some folks believe that the CE is not intended for use with bass. Others give differing reactions to the CE.

The RMX is one heavey compadre, but our PA uses them and have heard nothing but good things. Is there significant volume diff. between the 850 and 1450? I would think so.

Blues, Classic Rock band. We usually play with PA support. Medium/Loud drummer, 2 guitars with 40 watt tube amps, harmonica with 40 watt tube amp (I know, I know) and keys through PA.

Any help appreciated.
  2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I have just went the power amp route. I had just purchased some new Bergantino cabs and Jim Bergantino was kind enough to share with me his thoughts on rigs and power amps. Note: He is a big proponent of the power amp and preamp setup. I can't speak for all them, but he really liked the Crest CA4. If you've got the cash or find one used, it seems to be a great way to go. He reccomended the QSC RMX if the budget was tighter. I ended up wiht the QSC RMX1450. A good friend brought over his RMX850 which he has been really happy with (he's a pro player, so he's doing 3-6 gigs a week with it). To be honest with you, it seemed plenty loud enough for me. The nice option with the 1450 for me is it is more watts per side if I want to run the 2 cabs stereo and have that extra bit of control.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you are thinking about the RMX1450, you're very close money-wise to the RMX1850HD.

Save a bit more cash or find one used, it's only 4.5 lbs. heavier, but designed to handle 'heavier' usage (better thermal capabilities).

The Stewart's are greatly loved around most of TB-land.

If you could find a used Crest CA6, that'd be an excellent option as well.