1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have GAS, but like my equipment too much

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    So I have been playing bass for about 2 years now (am also a woodwind player of 21 years). I have a great day job, and am in the process of getting lots of fun bass gear. I'm having an issue finding amp heads to get. My first head was an Eden WT-400 Traveler Plus, which a lot of people say is up there among the best, and I agree. I've tried countless amp heads, and they have all paled in comparison to my current head. I just bought an Eden WTX-500, and though it's crystal clear and light, is still not as good as my first. I think I'll use it as a backup amp on gigs.

I do want another amp head, in the 400-600 watt range. I'm thinking if just getting another WT-400. What do you think?

2. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Lots of great amps out there. D class amps have made for very cheap and powerful combinations.

Personally, I find the Eden stuff too clean, without character. My opinion only.

I tend to favor Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, Mesa amps and products. All styles and flavors can be found under those badges.

Lots of boutique stuff as well, but those three have always filled my needs.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Why not add to the arsenal, instead of being redundant? What other gear do you have... And are there "gaps" in the gear?

For example: (1) bedroom amp, (2) jam with another instrument or two but no drums, (3) intimate jams with drums (4)(5) you seem to have covered these and maybe even don't need a (6)the biggest gig you'll ever play with your own rig rig.

Have you got a micro stack or for that matter what about a pretty looking, yet not powerful rig as decor for the living room? There's always a good reason to buy more *sarcastic grin engaged*

Good luck and whatever you do, NAD thread or it didn't happen, lol

4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I also am the proud owner of a TC BG250-112. Right now it covers rehearsals and small gigs if I got them. But now I'm just playing bars using the 400 watt rig.

I have heard good things about trace Elliot heads. Also thunderfunk, but I don't know if I'm up for that price tag yet.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you dig eden gear, why not look for a used, nice, USA made piece like a WT550, WT405 or grampa, the WT800?

6. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I am considering a WT-550. I don't really need the power, as I imagine I'll only be a small venue musician. And I'd rather go lighter in weight. Don't really know what I'm looking for. Maybe just a recommendation for something I haven't considered. A buddy of mine has an Acoustic Image amp that he is fond of. They run around $400 used at GC. I haven't done research on them yet.