have geddy lee ever played with a pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fliptrique, May 22, 2005.

1. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    "leave that thing alone" - for example. is a pick or just heavy handed fingerstyle near the bridge?
  2. its all his fingers. I dont think Geddy ever used a pick
  3. He does do that flicky thing with his finger though. Perhaps that 'pick' sound is actually his nail as he flicks that finger
  4. I always believed that was the case, but some people have said that he played pickstyle on some of the older records.
  5. Geddy is a two-digit dynamo...

his plectrum is his bionic fingernail...
  6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Geddy (not me, no puns :p) Has never played with a pick.
    On "leave that thing alone" if you watch the Rush in Rio DVD is shows a close up of his right hand. He says that he kind of Manipulates the strings. I don't know what he means, but it sure as hell sounds cool.

Apparently, he used a pick to record Distant Early Warning. I later found out that was BS. i got the video :\

I don't believe he ever used a pick, even on the earlier stuff. Maybe on the Not Fade Away Album?
  7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    What you see on video is not indicitive of how it was recorded. On another video from the "Grace Under Pressure" album ("The Enemy Within" I think), Geddy is using his (former) trademark black Rickenbacker but doesn't use that on the record.

"Distant Early Warning" sure sounds like a pick.
  8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    yea I understand all that. Also Geddy has one hell of a clanky tone on that album.
  9. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Geddy has never used a pick. The others were right on when they said it might be his fingernail. He's got a freaky super-nail thing going and he uses it to get the 16th notes on Animate.

And Not Fade Away was a Pre-Rush cover single, not an album...
  10. Geddy would never lower himself to that of a pick... :bag:
    I mean come on, he's Geddy friggin' Lee for @(^%$t's sake.
  11. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Well, there's nothing wrong with using a pick at all. Geddy's simply developed a unique style of his own that allows him to play both standard fingerstyle/slap and get a nice pick-tone of his own.
  12. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Using a pick isn't any better or worse than any other way of manipulating the strings. I guess Justin Chancellor has lowered himself and isn't a good player because he uses a pick, according to your logic.
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    geddy lee has gone on record in interviews as saying that he has never played bass with a pick - "could never get it to sound right, always felt like the pick was in the way" was the direct quote.
  14. No what I am saying is that Geddy would never use one.
    And you are technically restrained using a pick than manipulating with 2 or 3 fingers.
  15. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I think I remember reading an interview once where he decribed injuring his finger many years ago, and how the nail grew back really tough...
  16. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    That may be true, but how many guitar players do you consider "technically restrained"?? How many of us are some kind of virtuoso that using our fingers makes us some kind of god at the bass where you will condemn players that use a pick? There are many songs that I like that have bass played with a pick that blow away some garbage played with fingers. Sure, this is the technique forum lets all play with 10 fingers on a 30 string bass and have a crap song...
  17. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    When I first heard Rush I was under the impression that Geddy used a pick, I later learned he plays with his fingers. I am sure Geddy has used a pick at a time, maybe in the studio where we don't get to see it. But live, I never seen him use a pick. He's an aggressive index&middle finger player with a very twangy tone that may give the impression that he uses a pick.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with using a pick. I play all of my original bass lines with my fingers, but if my band covers a Green Day or Tool song I am using a pick so I can manipulate the Mike Dirnt/Justin Chancellor sound as much as I can. You cannot mimic the sound of such bassists with very distinct tone if you are only using your fingers. No matter how much mids/treble/tone you use. I think all bassists should learn how to play with fingers AND pick. :cool:
  18. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Two words: Chris Squire :eek:
  19. I can't believe it. Another thread devolving into picks vs. fingers.

Truly sad.
  20. Five words: Few exceptions to the rule. :eek: