Have GK 400, want a new sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindflow, Oct 9, 2005.

1. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    my current set up is a GK RB400 through a 4x10 GK cab. Im thinking about getting something different, not that i dont like my current setup, but i think i could do better. right now our band is not doing any really big gigs so what i have is sufficient for most rooms. i did notice that when we played a bigger room my cab was kind of farting out, really distorted sound. im thinking thhat was the amp at close to full volume not making the cut. im wanting a versitile head but more towards a warm vintage tone most of the time. i play a geddy and a 1980 p bass. i was thinking about looking into eden and ampeg. any thoughts?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The GK400 head is a little shy on watts, while good for a small room it lacks power for the larger venues. You are also using a 8 ohm cab which is only allowing you to get maybe a little more than half the wattage of the head, you would need a second cab to get the full amount of wattage the head could supply. I once had a GK400III combo and with a extension cab I did get 280 watts but my 1x15RBH cab being rated at 400 watts was severely under powered, I had to get rid of that combo and get the 1001RB 2x10 to go with th 1x15RHB cab. The rig sounds much better but I can still use more power to push what I have. I do have enough to do outdoor gigs without pa support though.