1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have GK 400, want a new sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindflow, Oct 9, 2005.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    my current set up is a GK RB400 through a 4x10 GK cab. Im thinking about getting something different, not that i dont like my current setup, but i think i could do better. right now our band is not doing any really big gigs so what i have is sufficient for most rooms. i did notice that when we played a bigger room my cab was kind of farting out, really distorted sound. im thinking thhat was the amp at close to full volume not making the cut. im wanting a versitile head but more towards a warm vintage tone most of the time. i play a geddy and a 1980 p bass. i was thinking about looking into eden and ampeg. any thoughts?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The GK400 head is a little shy on watts, while good for a small room it lacks power for the larger venues. You are also using a 8 ohm cab which is only allowing you to get maybe a little more than half the wattage of the head, you would need a second cab to get the full amount of wattage the head could supply. I once had a GK400III combo and with a extension cab I did get 280 watts but my 1x15RBH cab being rated at 400 watts was severely under powered, I had to get rid of that combo and get the 1001RB 2x10 to go with th 1x15RHB cab. The rig sounds much better but I can still use more power to push what I have. I do have enough to do outdoor gigs without pa support though.