Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have Hidden Tracks ever scared the fertilizer outta you?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    DUDES, I still have nightmares about this:

It was a few months ago... quite a few. I was listening to Ministry's Dark Side of the Spoon. (one of their best albums IMO). Anyways, I had it cranked, I was working on art and had it cranked. I was pretty into what I was doing, so I let it roll once it had "stopped."

Silence

Then out of nowhere, I hear a deep scary man voice say in a calm voice, "Why don't you sing a song for us." I jumped terrified and looked around for the psycho that was no doubt lurking in the shadows. It ended up being a very funny hidden track... but still!!

Similar stories?

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    AHahaha:p

That happened to me recently, but I cant remember what I was listening to. It startled the hell outta me. Thankfully it was music though, and not some weird unidentified voice making requests from me. That would've freaked me out...I would've thought I finally went completely bonkers.:(

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yeah, that's a shocker. I was listening to a disc not too long ago, I can't remember which, that the last track had a five minute tail on the end that was, as far as I know, the band and engineer cleaning up after the take. It was strange. Five minutes of cable wrapping, case latching, and creepy footsteps.

4. I can't think of a hidden track scare now but...

The first time I listened to NIN's March of the Pigs, right before the second verse comes in it gets dead silent then... BAM!!! Everythings comes back in. I swear I hit my head on the ceiling for that one...

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It's not a hidden track story, but several months ago I returned to my car in the airport parking lot after having flown somewhere on business. Without thinking, I turned on my car's CD player, which was set to begin playing Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory album. For those who don't know, the first few seconds of the album are dead silent, followed by the ticking of a clock. I had just started my car and was navigating out of the parking lot when I heard a very loud ticking in the car. I thought there was a bomb set to go off! I literally stopped the car and got set to exit before I remembered that the music was on.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Three words.

Faaip de Oaid.

7. To Hollowman.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.:D :D

I think I've got a new sig coming...

Petary, that song is pretty creepy. Danny's drums just add to it. I love listening to it at night for some reason though....

8. Not quite a hidden track story either, but falling asleep to System Of A Down's Mezmerize album, waking up to to Question? I swear to god i had a heart attack.:scowl:

9. I gave a tendency to sleep with CDs on...

and one night in the darkness of my room I woke up to a strange conversation... SCARED THE fertilizer out of me...

I was listening to Our Lady Peaces Spiritual Machines, which is based on Ray Kurzweils "Age Of Spiritual Machines" and at the end of "Wonderful Future" theres a conversation that takes place 5 minutes after the song ends.... its VERY CREEPY...

10. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Me too. Everytime I fall asleep to Sgt. Pepper's I get a rude awakening... :mad: ;)

11. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Not a hidden track story, but I was listening to meshuggah's "catch 33" for the first time. I had my headphones on lounging in my recliner after a long day at work. I guess I was loosing myself (entranced, you could say) in the music and was really relaxed durring the end of track 9 (In death Is death), and then track 10 (Shed) just blasts in full volume. I literaly jumped up out of my seat, heart racing.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK, so it doesn't have to be hidden track related... just musical "tricks" that envoke fear...

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I got scared at the end of Voivod's self-titled. I was lying in bed as I was listening to the album, and as the last song finished, I was in that short stage where you're kind of awake, but mostly asleep. Anyway, some hidden track came on a few minutes later, and it scared the crap out of me.

Graeme

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The first time I ever listened to Space in your face, the second Galactic Cowboys release.

There are two hidden tracks, and the first is almost 12 minutes after the 'last' track listed on the CD.

I had the stereo cranked, and after the 'last' track, I got preoccupied doing something.

When the song started, I darned near crapped myself.:D

15. Not a secret track, but in The Doors "Celebration of the Lizard" he starts to whisper "Is everybody in?" and then out of nowhere he screams "WAKE UP!"

That scared the crap out of me.

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Very few albums actually have "hidden" tracks, but are more accruatly "undocumented tracks". I forget the album, but when I was in college and CDs were brand new (the dark ages) we got a CD from a band ( I was a DJ at the college radio station ) that had a truely hidden track. It was between tracks 6 and 7, and the only way to hear it was to go to track 7 and scan backwards. If you just played the CD it would go from the end of track 6 to the beginning of track 7, but track 7 actually had been set up with a 3 minute pre-gap that had a full song hidden in it.

I'm surprised the practice never caught on.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is similar to the way that the first 'hidden' track on Space in your face is set up.

It will play if you leave the player alone, but if you try to scan to it, it skips over it. IIRC, it is track 30 -6:54 or something like that. Once it counts down to zero, the song is over, and there are two minutes of additional blank space. If you try to go directly to track 30, it only plays the two minutes of blank space.

18. This is barely a hidden track since the song fades out at around 6:08 and the "hidden" part comes in around 20 seconds later but it sure confused me when I first heard it. The last song on Coheed and Cambria's most recent album ends with a vibraphone or an electric piano or something which trails off into nothing, but then a little while later a bassdrum starts up and a very strange song plays. Normally it would be nothing, but I must have been dozing the first time I heard it. It took me at least a minute to figure out what was going on. I was definitely freaked out. It was like waking up with your arm completely numb and not being able to figure out where your arm is or what keeps hitting you in the face.

19. I always play music when I am in bed...and I think I had a TOOL cd on, with a hidden one at the end....that scared the fertilizer outta me ! Woke me up damn fast trying to figure out what the hell that was...

20. When I was listening to Americana by The Offspring, I had just finished listening to the 8-minute epic "Pay the Man." I was going to sleep. Then all of a sudden, this mexican song comes on! It scared the hell out of me!