Have I gone mad?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, May 21, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Today at Music-Go-Round, I found a Sunn 1x18 scoop cab with a Black Widow speaker in it. I was thrilled because i've been looking for a 1x18 cab recently. I plugged a Peavey Mark IV into it, and was ****ing BLOWN AWAY by the tone. It was ****ing loud too, gut rattling, yet clear enough for enough clank to get through (which surprised the hell outta me) So blown away, i'm thinking of trading the following items of mine:

• Randall 1x15 Reflex Cab
    • Fender BXR100
    • Music Man HD130

for the following:
    • Sunn 1x18 Scoop
    • Peavey Mark IV

The Peavey has a built in crossover, so I could feed the mids & highs to my Sunn Sceptre. I also might trade my 2x15 for a 4x12 if I can get away with it, and if I find one I like for cheap. (probably not, though)

Of course, if the Music Man sounds good through the Sunn scoop, i'll probably keep it. But even if it does sound good, it all comes down to what's louder & deeper. The Music Man is frankly a weird amp in terms of feel, due to the ss pre/tube power section. It doesn't have the dynamics, while having a MONSTROUS low end, doesn't seem to keep the speaker from flapping (though the Randall cab could be at fault, all tube amps i've tried through it sound like ass. It also depends though how much I they'll accept in trade for the Sunn, and I only have 40 extra bucks. :(

What does everybody else think of the Peavey Mark IV?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played one a few times through an 8x10 classic and my 1210.

I was impressed, I think they aren't given enough credit for building solid stuff.

Do it!
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i miss my mark IV

no, not the best head ever made, but cool enough.

i want mine back........
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How much do the Mark IV's usually go for? I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap reliable SS amp for the Sunn 300T when I get it.