Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have I got a bad string?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ric426, Apr 25, 2003.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Another newbie question:
    I put a new set of Spirocore Weichs on my upright a couple of weeks ago and have been playing them daily. I've noticed that the G string doesn't seem to intonate properly. The pitch of the octave harmonic is different than the pitch of the open string. If I tune to the harmonic, the fingered notes are in tune relative to the same positions on the other strings, but the open string is off. If I tune to the open string, the fingered notes play sharp when compared to the same positions on the other strings.
    I think I'll put the Helicore Pizz G string that came on the bass back on to see if it does the same thing. I guess that'll tell me if the Spiro G is bad and I can just order another one.
    So, is this likely to be a bad string or this just something that exists on some basses and I'll just have to learn to compenstate? Anybody else encounter something like this? A guitar player friend avoids one brand of "hand wound" strings after coming across some strings that just wouldn't intonate properly, so I'm hoping that this is something similar.

2. Rice For 26:
    I suggest you go to the Tomastik web site. They have an e-mail address for questions like yours.
    Although the string dealers said Tomastik was uncooperative with bad strings, I sent a dead E string back to Austria with a letter. They mailed me a new E, no charge.