1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have I Got News For You

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by moley, Oct 31, 2002.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So what do you guys think of Angus Deayton being sacked from being presenter of Have I Got News For You? I reckon they should have kept him on. And, who do you think should replace him? Apparently Paul Merton is doing it until they find someone else...

2. Have I got news for you? - Apparently not, Mr. Deayton.

I think they're dead right to sack him. His usual modus opperandi on the program was to slag off any tabloid fodder who got caught doing something dodgy - the hypocrisy levels would have been sky high!

Yes, he's funny but that's no excuse. (Of course, charged as guilty by The Sun until proven innocent by a court of law... :rolleyes: )

I really hope the new presenter is John Seargant. He was excellent as a guest...

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, John Seargant was a great guest. But it's difficult to imagine HIGNFY without Deayton. The whole cocaine sex romp thing would have blown over, and it could have carried on, though, I reckon. It seems unfair to sack him after 12 years, for 1 incident like this.

4. It doesnt come as much of a surprise really. Seems lately that all these TV presenters are up to their nostrils in it.

The show will seem strange without him I suppose, for a while. But, all his lines were scripted. He's certainly no comic genius (unlike messrs. Merton and Hislop (maybe genii is too strong a word)).

On a side note, I was reading about this story in a "borrowed" tabloid earlier today, and it was said that they have a "soon to be published" story that would "wipe that smug smirk off Hislops face!"

Wonder what that could be? No doubt more "shocking" tales of pimps, pushers and prostitutes... *YAWN*

5. They should get Deayton on as a guest on the show...:D

6. Second incident. First was in May this year... Perhaps three strikes and you're out?