Have I ruined my bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Dr Stupid, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Well, I'm not really experienced when it comes to double bass, and i'm self taught, so here goes.

I know about rosin for my violin, but the bass is a different animal.

I'm using "Nyman" rosin, and it's gotten to the stage where the rosin just cakes onto the bow. Not having had any experience with rosin that's suppossed to be stick, i'm just not sure how sticky my double bass bow should be.

It seems to me that I've probably put too much rosin on maybe. When i try to put rosin on the bow now, it's hard to apply, and the cake of rosin just sticks to the bow.

hmmm....not sure what i'm asking, i guess just some advice about rosin, and how much i should be using it.
  2. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    If the rosin is really caked on, I tend to get a clean toothbrush and run it through the bow hair which cleans away unwanted residue. Failing that, just play lots of long notes, regularly pausing to clean rosin ofs the strings. Hope this works for you, let me know how it goes!

With regards to how much to put on, it should be no different to your violin in the respect that with practise and familiarity you will instinctively know the right amount to use. Hope this helps!