have i screwed up my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by whitenoise, Aug 15, 2003.

1. whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    my bass has had a ton of fret buzz recently (the 15th fret does not even sound a proper note) so i thought i would try adjusting the trust rod. the thing is a was turning it like a madman and i still didnt get rid of the buzz. then i did a search on these boards for a bit of help and discovered that i was only supposed to be doing a 1/4 of turn and leaving it for hours. so my question is , have i wrecked my bass?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Take it into a local shop and have the local tech look at it.

It's possible you are alright, but If you heard any snapping or anything, you might be in trouble.

that's a stinker, I hope the bass is okay.

Is it buzzing all over now? or what? is it still playable?

as for the 15th fret, it might have been curvature(bowing) in the neck, which a minor tweak of the truss rod would fix, but it also might have been an improperly set fret.

as for it not producing the right tone, your intonation might be off, Do a search in "setup" to learn more about intonation and how to check and adjust it.
  3. Since it's a squier...you cannot expect Fodera-like set-up(no offense) I suggest do what W.R said. And Good luck...

I hope your bass is ok man

keep us updated,please

4. whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    i havent heard anything snap or anything but it is really hard to tighten it now and the buzz hasn't gone away.the buzzing is pretty much the same; it starts at the seventh fret and gets progressivley worse. but im confused as to whether the neck is supposed to be straight or have a slight bend because i bent it more and it didnt get any better and when i did the inverse i got the same result.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You need to do this in conjunction with raising (and/or lowering) the saddles on the bridge. You could have tried this first and you may not have needed to adjust the truss rod at all!!

You need to think of setup as a 'whole' - bridge, nut,intonation, neck relief etc. - not just adjusting one thing in isolation.

I would suggest looking at this :

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Let's go to setup with this........

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

There are a couple of things that aren't very clear in your post that can have a great deal of affect on diagnosing your problem(s).

first, is the problem isolated to JUST the 15th fret or is 15 to the end of the fingerboard problematic? Is the prob on all the strings, or isolated to just one? This info is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to making a correct diagnosis!

If only the 15 fret is a problem, the prob is in the 16th fret (raised/high #16 fret).

If the truss rod adjustment nut spins fairly freely when you try to tighten (clockwise) it, the threads are probably stripped on the rod or the adjusting nut itself, or the rod may be broken.

If You encounter strong resistance to turning clockwise, the rod is probably OK.

As a general rule of thumb, problems with buzzing at the 15th fret would indicate the need for a bridge adjustment insread of a TR adjustment.

You really need to determine that the TR is OK or not before you can go any further. Get back to us with a little more info and we can dig a little deeper.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that's what I was thinking when I wrote my post.
  9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    In general, this is a pharase that you never want to say about your bass. I would defintley take this bass to a tech, and have him sort this all out.
  10. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Why should he take it to a shop? Adjusting a truss rod isn't exactly rocket science. If he was turning the nut counterclockwise, he certainly hasn't hurt anything. If he was tightening the nut
    he may think something is screwed up because the nut became hard to turn, which is perfectly normal.

I'm not sure that the purpose of a setup forum is being served by automatically telling someone to take his instrument to the shop. FIRST let's try to sort the problem out and then let the poster decide whether he wants to take it to the shop or not. OK?

11. Yeah i agree Pkr2.

The bass is quite a simplistic machine to adjust. Even the pros were beginners once. So what if you stuff something up? Just undo what you did, leave it for a bit to settle in, then try again.

Least he decided to work it out for himself before coming on here too BTW. Many people are quick to jump on here saying "I cant do this!" well have you tried first? Some people learn better if they give it a go and then ask questions on what they cant work out.

Makes my job, Hammy's and Pkr2's job so much easier if we can focus our answers rather than "how do i setup my bass to be like so and so"

12. I agree, learn to adjust the instrument and you will aquire a skill useful for the rest of your musical life. It's not a television set, it won't electrocute you or explode in a puff of smoke. Have a (careful) fiddle around and see what you can achieve.

If the bass needs fret work done, that is a different story.
  13. whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    thanks for all the advice, i really appreciate it. i don't think that ive damaged by bass because today it was fine although the buzz was still there. i think ill just take it into my nearest music store and let the guys in there take a look at it because i tried doing the same thing on a even poorer quality bass and i fixed the buzz problem on it straight away.
  14. RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Have you "sighted" the neck? That is, look down the fretboard, usually from the body end, with one eye close to the strings and the other one shut, to see if there's any lumps and bumps. A lot of fender style bass necks kinda rise up just after they leave the body. This makes it impossible to set up with a low or even medium action. Place a straight edge along the fret board, or do the old 1st fret - top fret trick. Sighting the neck also often reveals single high frets...
  15. this happened to me as well, well actually, i didnt try to adjust it, but the buzzing thing happened, the strings were actually sitting on the first four frets, its horrible.

however, as mine is a squier as well, i found it as the perfect opportunity. since my parents know little to nothing about guitars, and know nothign about truss rods, its the perfect opportunity to push my parents for a new bass. ...cause mine "doesnt work"...

the way to fix a squieris to replace it.

i own a squier amp as well, and it wasnt grounded or something cause it had this horrible and unavoidable humming and hissing ad buzzing, but hey, was it really so wrong to cut the wires conected to the input jack?
  16. Hmmm. For some reason i disagree with the above post Mr Cliff Em All. Some people would give anything for a guitar,bass, many dont have amps. If you went as far as cutting the input jack to get a new amp, do yourself a favour and give it to someone who actually cherishes whatever they can get.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well the main thing wrong with that post is that it assumes you have parents who buy you whatever you ask them for!:rolleyes:

Have you noticed an increasing trend on TB for kids to assume that they are all talking to other kids who are at school and going through the same adolescent angst... :meh:

I fear for these kids - how are they ever going to cope in the real world! :(
  18. Bruce you have PM. ;)

19. no, my parents do not by me everything i ask for. its almost the opposite, and i intend to pay off the amp.

and i wouldnt want to give the squier to someone else, that would be tricking them into thinking it was any good. you can buy much higher quality equipment for the same price like epiphone, or even a kramer i saw, and the amp i had was not grounded and had some permanent problems. theses were low quality, even for squier.

if someone were startign on bass, i would want them to try and find something a little better. cause you should never settle for something less when you could afford something better for the same price.