Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have my cake and EA, too...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, May 19, 2004.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Why choose? EA and Accugroove both get the job done, and putting them to work side by side was an eventuality. Note: I am more than aware that there is NO way that I would NEED to bring both a Whappo, Jr. and two VL-210's, but in this band, the guitar players like to bring a lot of cabs (mostly for the show off factor), so I like to remind them of where the real power resides! :bassist:
    [​IMG]

And of course, the mini fridge has become a regular part of my rig!:p I just need to rig it up with some LED's, or perhaps overlay the door with images of high end rack gear (like four more PLX 3002's!).

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    did I mention that I hate you?

:crying:

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    A little known fact; Tom owns the first Neo Whappo Jr. shipped. You da man Tom!

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I just got cab envy. :bawl:

Nice rig(s)!

5. That, my friends, is a thing of beauty.

6. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I think I have a boner. Your setup is really nice too.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Hmmm... I don't really like the way the stack looks. Personally I would've put the EA cabs on their side and stacked the Accugroove on top of them with the rack on the other side, but maybe I'm just weird. Nevertheless, that's some great gear; I love the fridge. You've actually inspired me towards another long term goal... I'll get a top of the line power conditioner and an all out top of the line anvil case with a 4 space rack drawer. What for you might ask? A mini fridge and a small microwave. The new mini-fridges now have freezer compartments so I can jam a few frozen dinners in there and fill the rest of the fridge with beverages. The rack drawer would hold miscellaneous items; plates, forks, knives, glasses, etc. It'd be great for me because I'm always bringing food and soda with me everywhere I go :cool:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Don't tease us; how did they sound?

9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Guess I'll show off my cab arsenal! :bassist:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Ah, a kindred soul, at last! That's a heck of a Walter Woods arsenal, too! Very, very nice!

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I've been waiting for the "all clear" to bring that up! :hyper:

For those of you interested in neo drivers, Accugroove cabs, or just the concept of a single cab option, you really need to check out the Neo Whappo, Jr. Keep in mind, those two VL-210's were not at all necessary for the gig - just for the "show" factor that this particular band likes to bring to play (one guitar player wanted to bring my Mesa Boogie 4x10 and Powerhouse, Jr. to set next to his rig - when I told him he had to get the there and back himself, he declined). When I first heard the Whappo, Jr., I was blown away, but when I picked it up, I was a bit leery about how well I would do carrying it down my basement steps after a long gig (especially gigs where the mini fridge is involved!). Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty strong guy, but with cabs getting lighter and lighter, I was interested in moving away from ungainly cabs (like my 120 lb. Boogie 4x10).

I had e-mailed Mark about how great a neo Whappo, Jr. would be, and let me tell you, it is a wonderful thing! Despite how big it looks initially, since the Jr. is narrower than a 4x10, your arms are in a more comfortable position to carry it. Take off 10 or so pounds by switching to neo drivers, and at @ 74 lbs, it is really quite easy to move around. I can carry it down the steps with a high degree of control (no banging into walls, door jams, etc.), and getting it in and out of the SUV is very easy. Sound-wise, I can hear no difference between the Neo Whappo, Jr. and how I recall the standard Jr. sounding, although to be honest, I have not had the chance to A/B them directly.

My next gig in this same room (different band) will be the Whappo, Jr. with either my rack rig (sans mini fridge) or the iAMP 800. The iAMP is really a great head to use with the Accugroove, as it can put out 800 watts into the 4 ohm cab (I don't have the Accuswitch option - yet!). Also, the iAMP has tremendous EQ control, and Accugroove cabs really respond well to EQ tweaking (you don't have to worry about accentuating an inherent frequency peak/bloom or valley).

For those who were ever put off by the weight of the Whappo, Jr., you need to check out the new neo cabs.

Tom.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    First off, I can't imagine a gig that I couldn't cover with EITHER one Whappo, Jr. or two VL-210's. Putting them together was cheeky (and fun!), but not necessary at all. Still, I had never had the chance to A/B them so directly in a gig setting, so that was another secret reason for bringing all three cabs. I am very confident that I can get "my sound" with either the Jr. or the EA cabs. As you might expect from two top notch manufacturers with "uncolored" and "accurate" tone in mind, they have many similarities. Both are very articulate, and do not have any obvious or significant sonic peaks or valleys. One thing to note about the VL-210's, is that I have found them to sound better the louder you play them. At lower volumes, their midrange is not as clear, tight, or focused as it can be at higher volumes (for this reason, when I am in an "EA mood" and I have a lower volume gig, the VL-208's get the nod). But, like no other cab I have found, the VL-210's just get better and better the louder you push them. At this gig, with both cabs powered by one side of the PLX 3002, I had no need to push either channel, but with this particular band, I was up in the volume levels where the VL-210's are starting to speak well. With regard to the Whappo, Jr., it amazes me by its ability to sound thick, yet clear, and very well balanced at any volume. From very quiet solo practices, to full-out rockin', it simply sounds great.

As to how their sound differs, the Whappo, Jr. is a very thick and full sounding cab. It somehow does this with no "bloat" or "mud" added, and it does it like no other cab I have heard. This sense of full, meaty presence is found throughout the fingerboard, and even the higher register notes have a foundation and weight to them that is not present with other cabs. By comparison to the EA's, then, the Jr. was (as expected) more full and meaty sounding.

On the EA side, if you have ever doubted the validity of the transmission line design, you have never heard two VL-210's (one is a VL-210B, for those in the know) powered by 900 watts or so, it is an experience I highly recommend. The two EA's were noticably deeper than the Whappo, Jr. (though again, not as thick on the low end). A low B with two VL-210's will rattle your jawbone, but still retain tremendous clarity and control. These two cabs really shine with the PLX 3002 in bridged mono (3,000w) sitting atop my Auralex Gramma. With a total of four midrange drivers, the two VL-210's (at volume) had more definition and cut in the midrange, while the Accugroove added some additional (and pleasant) warmth to the mids. One the high end, they were remarkably similar (keep in mind that the VL-series cabs are not as present on the high end as later EA models), although I don't do a lot of slap/pop, so perhaps there is some distinctions that I just wasn't hearing.

Needless to say, these cabs sounded great together. It might be worth bringing this setup again for the sheer synergy between the cabs. The EA's start you off with a deep, deep foundation, supported by clear, present (though nowhere near harsh) mids. Then, the Whappo, Jr. layers on some weight, thickness and gravitas, with a bit of roundness and warmth. Both cabs are very articulate and clean throughout, and further compliment each other in this regard. The high end on each is just the way I like it - notes ring out, my highest notes are present, with appropriate harmonic overtones, but it never even thinks about getting brittle or harsh.

So, while bringing both an Accugroove and EA "stack" was intially very tongue-in-cheek (as was the mini fridge), it turned out that both ideas had their merits!

Tom.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks, TB for giving me a extreme case of the drools.
    ;)

If I lived close enough, I'd volunteer to be your roadie just to get to listen to your groovilicous systems.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Dang! I could use some help schlepping this gear around!:bawl:

15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    To understand our decisions, you first you have to understand our motivation & the reason we’re in business. AccuGroove is NOT a marketing driven company. We do not deal in hype, exaggeration, smoke & mirrors or outright lies. If a product is not solving a problem, meeting a solution or filling a void for bass players in the real world, we will not introduce it.

AccuGroove was born out of my frustration as a bass player (I started in 1970) that has spent a fortune on equipment that did not deliver the goods. The last things I would ever do is design or introduce something that did not deliver what’s promised.

I co-design everything with my partner David. Time & money NEVER come into the equation for design or introduction. An example is our Tri 210L. The 210 was one of our very first cabinets we designed. Pro-players were using them on tour saying they were the best they have ever heard. Great, but I was not happy. Therefore, we have spent 3 years working on the Tri 210L before we introduced it. Hopefully, this is proof that we are not a marketing driven company.

The same is true with our Neodymium drivers. We’ve been working on them for some time & have had custom drivers made form France, England, Spain, Italy, South America & the US. Most other companies either use off the self product or something that a manufacturer just whips up for them. We have spent a fortune in time & money to ensure that these are the best of the best…period.

Our criteria for neos were simple; indestructible & sonically perfect. Like every product here, it has to pass my personal blind test. If it doesn’t sound as good or better, I have no motivation to put it into one of our cabinets. So, yes…they really do sound the same!

EVERY cabinet is designed, tested put on tour with a famous player & torture tested, etc. Only after we are completely convinced that it can’t get any better & is the best product available do we reverse engineer it to see what it cost to build. Then we find out wholesale & suggested retail pricing. As a matter of fact at our first NAMM show 3 years ago, dealers were frustrated because although they found the best gear they’ve ever heard & wanted to sign up as dealers, but we had no idea what ANY of the cost were.

Cost never came into the picture then & it still doesn’t today. We do not build to a “price point” or “market segment”, we build to solve problems…period.

Hopefully this helps a little. I will say that I would never use the majority of the neo drivers on the market, but then again, I wouldn't play the majority of the cabinets out there either.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'll just chime in here and add that there is no lack of low end at all in the neo Whappo, Jr. I hear what you are saying about some neo drivers not being as full sounding, or not having the same low end, as comparable ferrous drivers, but believe me, that is not the case with the Whappo, Jr. Please don't conclude anything to the contrary from my statements about the two VL-210's going deeper. That's just an example of the transmission line at work and a testament to the designers at EA. This trait of two stacked VL-210's (when pushed with plenty of watts) in no way detracts from the fact that the neo-equipped Whappo, Jr. has tremendous presence, authority, thickness AND clarity in the low end.

17. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Mark! If you say that it still sounds killer and doesn't have any liabilities, I'll take your word for it. And try one out...

The neo Whappo Jr. is 74 lbs. How much did the old one weigh?

Thanks,
    Nightbass

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I believe about 80ish pounds, but I could be wrong.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I had it down as 81.5 lbs. In truth, the Neo Jr. may be more like 71.5 lbs. It's 10 lbs lighter, as I recall.

20. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    i am currently looking around for a cabinet(s) to go with my iAmp 800. Naturally, i closely follow any EA thread.
    Tom, can you elaborate on "transmission line" ive seen you mention it a few times but im lost for a meaning. Im also loving your reviews of the EA and Accugroove cabs. Its getting very hard to ignore.

The biggest problem will be finding the right cabs that are available to Australia without breaking the bank. :(

Edit: i retract my transmission line question.