1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have my sights set on building a 2x15.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Hi again, TBers. I'm back a building a new cabinet, but a 2x15 this time. I've learned a lot over my last two projects and plan to apply those to this new one. I was going to use 2 Eminence Kappalite 3015LFs. I modeled it in WinISD and looked at it between 10 and 12 ft^3. At 10ft^3, it stays pretty flat until about 60hz and hitting 40hz at about -4db and about 98SPL at 40hz. It's tuned at 44hz. Of course it seems better at 12ft^3, but that's just way too large. I was wanting it to be no taller than 3.5 feet and 17" or less deep so it would fit in my firebird. I don't know. Any feedback at this point?

2. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    would you care to share your designs? (on a strictly DIY basis, and you are more than encouraged to specify no trade/mass production)

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    http://www.shredmuzic.com/B215_empty_p/build-007.htm

Save your time and cash, and get one or two of these. I have two that I use for PA mids., or can be dedicated bass cabs. Have the right footage and porting and are built very well. Can't go wrong. It's just a box, after all.

4. Did the DIY (Do It Yourself) escape you? ;)

5. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    The speaker performance parameters are calculated based on the volume of air behind the cone, not the size of the box, so don't forget to subtract the volume of the bracing and the speaker cones themselves from your rectangular volume measurements. I'm thinking to arrive at a true 10 ft^3 of volume, accounting for cone volume, you'll have to have a big box, which will require a pretty large expanse of wood, which will then require serious bracing, which subtracts from the overall volume, which pushes you to increase the box size....

You're going to need a bigger boat.

6. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just remember while the 3015LF is a fantasic driver and will move tremendous amounts of air in the right enclosure (let alone two of them), it might not sound very well as a full range driver. It's meant more for true woofer (and possibly subwoofer) service. It would be best to cross over to a mid driver with them around 800 Hz or so. For a full range the 3015 would be better. You would be giving up a bit on the low end but overall it would work better as a full range driver. Unless you have 800 - 900 watts available to take advantage of a pair of 3015LF's (and they will take that much power without farting out), the 3015's would be a better fit for your application. In about 10 cu ft it looks (extrapolating from Eminence's box designs) that a pair of 3015's would handle 600 watts without farting out.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Unless one is a low B player who demands a LOT of low end on stage instead of better PA subwoofer support, I'd say stick with 3015 non-LF, and go for about 6 cf net internal (here's where newbies really screw up, not subtracting enough for ports, drivers, bracing, cup handles, etc). That ups the power handling and allows the driver to really do what it's good at instead of trying to make it into a LF driver.

I'll save the "should use a midrange section anyway" reason for a later date, if at all ; }

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Use a midrange. For most applications I'd say Greenboy's fEarful 15 is all the 215 you need, from what I can tell. I use a 3-way 215, but only because I want to never, ever have to have a second cabinet, and it's perfectly sized for me.

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Yes. It's not enough to set your sights on such a thing. You must set your heart and soul on it as well. If not, any 2x15 cab project is destined to fail. That's my feedback at this point.