Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have neck, building body. Some questions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HaMMerHeD, Jun 23, 2005.

1. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Hello folks. I have a nice flamed maple neck from an old fretted 6er than I am going to be building a new body for. The old body was badly damaged in a recent move, but the neck remains in great shape. I've drawn out my design, including the neck joint cavity. According to my calculations, the drawing is about 50% to scale. The drawing looks good, and is very balanced, but when I did my calculations on the overall dimensions, I noticed that the entire instrument is only about 10" wide, while being about 16.5" long. The neck is 3 3/8" wide at the heel, and about 3 1/4" at the 24th fret. This puts the entire instrument only about 3 times as wide as just the neck; or each wing only about as wide as the neck. Is this OK? Obviously it is mostly a question of aesthetics (I prefer basses with smaller bodies), but I am worried that the instrument will be off-balance, as far as weight is concerned. I don't want it to be "head" heavy.

Could I overcome this problem by using some heavier wood in the body? I was planning on a 5 piece laminate design consisting of (measurements are approximate):

3 1/2" mahogany wing
    1/2" purpleheart accent
    2" hard maple
    1/2" purpleheart accent
    3 1/2" mahogany wing

If I replaced the mahogany with cocobolo or walnut, would I be able to compensate for the small size? Would it be better to "re-scale" the body to be slightly larger?

I'm only going to have one pickup (EMG 40HZ) and one knob (stacked concentric vol/tone), so there will not be much weight added by the electronics, and the cavity will be pretty small.

If my scanner was working, I'd post a scan of my design.

Thanks,
    HMH.

2. Sounds like you're going to have a real problem with neck dive. Greg Curbow makes a very petit body and he uses blocks of brass as ballast under the bridge to counter this. I don't think you could gain much with only a species swap. It's probably going to take a review of the body design itself.