Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have other insturments hurt your technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Have other instuments hurt your technique? I'm pretty sure that playing piano has hurt mine. I have a tendancy to push the strings down, instead of plucking them up. This is more evident when I'm playing really fast stuff, like punk.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No. In fact, I attribute my injury-free existence to my habit of rotating through instruments. I don't play one thing long enough for it to hurt.

3. That's weird. I played piano for 7 years before playing the bass and it's helped me SO much. All the theory and rhythm and stuff like that.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Actually,bass is my first instrument (I don't think that messing around with the piano for a year in the tender age of 6 counts!) but I have a friend who used to play piano and now plays guitar,and he always tells me that there are some parts that other guitarists of his level can't play,but he can because of the strength of his fingers,from all these years of piano playing...and it sounds more logical to me.

5. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    When I've playd too much guitar ( about 10 minutes ;) ), I found the synchro between right and left hand a bit lost on bass.
    Weird.

6. Playing upright is a real plus for playing electric. It strengthens your left hand and increases fluidity.

7. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I play guitar, bass, drumz and some piano and I've got to say that none of them effect my playing on any of the others.

I don't know why...

~Lox~

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My bass teacher left his double bass with me for safe keeping while he traveled a month. He gave me a few orientation classes before he left. I loved playing that bass. But best of all, I found it made my fingers so much stronger when I played my electric. (That is, after I recovered from the MONSTER blister I got from plucking the strings. Ouch!)

Ten years later and in another country now, I could positively KICK myself for not buying a double bass and going into that seriously. There I was with all the golden opportunity to have classes with him as he was the first chair double bassist in the state symphony orchestra. What a missed opportunity!

If I could cross train in a completely different instrument, ever since I was a little girl, I have loved the harp. (Not harmonica...I mean the symphonic instrument...what angels play.) My bass teacher tells me it is very difficult to play, but also that harpists are in great demand because there are so few of them. Another thing, harps are extremely expensive. Guess I'll live this life without ever playing a harp. Sigh!

jason oldsted

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know what your definition of "expensive" is Jason, but one of my Elderly Instruments catalogs has a 4', 34 string folk harp, "a good beginner instrument for the aspiring concert harpist" for $2200. They also have 31" tall, 25 string job for $675. So, you're still in "electric bass w/o amp land," price wise.

If you took up harp and kept up with bass, you'd REALLY be busy. I saw a guy over at another board yesterday who lives in S. Cal. and he said all he has to do is scream, "Bassist!," and people come flocking from all over to make offers. I was just offered some studio work doing CAR ADS :eek: just because a guy walking past a music store looked in the window and saw me trying out a bass. He said they've been having a dickens of a time simply finding a bassist.

Oh, and the original question about technique - Playing piano helped and hurt my technique. It hurt, in the sense that with the piano, the attack on notes is pretty much predicated for you, compared to bass, as well as the accuracy of your notes (i.e. you can be on the correct fret and still hit a sour note). But it helped to give a graphic picture, mentally, of how chords are constructed and how the bass and melody relate to each other. For instance, "seeing" that a descending bass line can add drama to an ascending melody line.

10. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I do find that playing the bass guitar has hurt my guitar playing. I now find the fret spaces too small and the strings too close together.

11. Playing guitar is weird, I'm not used to the teeny weeny neck and the tiny strings so close together. It hasn't affected my bass playing in anyway, though I think it may have affected my guitar playing....but that sucked to begin with so.....

12. Hi

I've play the trumper for 4 years then i've tried the bass. Now is 8 years that I play the bass.

Paolo

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I find that I need 5-10 mins warm up on any of my instruments. I still need to do this going from 10's to 13's on a guitar or 4 to 5 on bass. Because of this I rarely use two basses at a gig.

14. Playing piano helped me immensly with all the theory. Just knowing the notes and being able to read music made it possible to actually play stuff in just a little while. it's the right hand stuff that screws me up.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I started playing tuba before bass. It taught me how to read music so that is really great. and thats about it

Shawn

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Nope. I learned chords by playing guitar. If anything, it helped me.

Will C.:cool:

17. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I definetely notice a difference when I pick up an electric guitar after playing bass for an hour or so.My hands feel a lot stronger.

18. My Friends Luchano play a lot of instruments (sax, trombone, piano, ...) but he play very bad. I think is better play 1 instrument than a lot.

19. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Playing a rotary valved tuba has helped my plucking fingers because them damn keys are so hard to push down that when I go to bass, I have enormous strength, speed, and agility in my right fingers. Plus the fact that reading tuba music helped me later to read bass music really amounts to the tuba helping me out.