1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have The Simpsons lost all relevance ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Barkless Dog, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I stopped watching long ago. I tried liking the movie but could not stomach it.

It just seems they were far passed by Family Guy & South Park as a commentary on life in the US.

They just do not have anything new to say

Does anyone still follow the show?

I love Futurama though

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Pretty much.

3. Yep. It's painful to watch. It used to be genius. Now it's just 20+ minutes of lame jokes.

I love the old stuff... and Futurama too. :D

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The Simpsons should have ended when Futurama first started. That's when the show pretty much lost it's relavance.

Over the past couple years, I have made several attempts at watching some of the newer episodes, and I couldn't get halfway through without changing a channel. The Simpsons is now like a cheap rippoff of itself back in the glory years.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I disagree, I just think like any other show their is only so much you can satirize. If the kids grew up (for instance) their would be additional elements of American culture to satirize (like campus life). I just think it's the nature of the subject. It's still relevant, unfortunately history repeats itself so it doesn't seem as fresh.

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    There was a time when I wouldn't miss a single episode. Haven't seen a show now in years.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    [​IMG]

Come on.... :D

8. +1

They really should put it to rest.

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    They need to start aging, only so much they can do, they're repeating themselves too much now.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I stopped watching when the stories started becoming more and more farcical.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    They still have their moments they're just few and far between now. Family Guy however is friggin' hilarious. It's a recent discovery for me. I'm hooked now. Way funnier.

12. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    once they lost conan as a writer, it went downhill from there.

however, viva la futurama!! anyone see bender's big score? what did you all think??

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    True words, Family Guy is king!

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1 And FG is on late so I can catch up on the ones I haven't seen.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I used to work with a lot of the writers from the Simpson's too. All the guys I admired have mostly moved on.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've been a long-time fan of Family Guy, but I love it. Amazing.

17. I was a Matt Groening fan even before The Simpsons began -- I owned several book collections of his "Life In Hell" comic -- so maybe that's why I have a hard time agreeing with the consensus.

I think it's still better and funnnier than any non-animated sitcom on TV. And as far as "relevance" goes, South Park and Family Guy are certainly more topical, but I don't think those shows will age as well. Family Guy's full of current pop-culture references, but those references will look pretty hokey in a few years. The Simpsons was never intending to be a completely satirical show, anyway. It's always essentially been a family sitcom, with a little bit of a cynical edge.

I will admit that The Simpsons has lost its freshness. The characters, even the minor characters, are too well-known and too predictable. But it's been running for 20 years now, so I give them credit.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hokey, yes, but I'm sure we'll remember just how brilliant they were the first time around.

19. Yeah i used to watch every episode several years ago now i only watch when there is nothing better to watch... also i enjoy catching some of the older reruns that came on before i was born... the movie was decent but it think that when they first said they were making a movie was when they had there obvious downfall

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Are they still making new episodes or has the last one aired now?