1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have they been on too long?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Nov 22, 2006.

1. I just realized that the strings on my fretless bass were first put on in June of 2003. :bag:

Just noticed that the A string seems to be a little dead sounding. :bag:

Maybe I need to buy another set of Elixers. Perhaps the Nanoweb version, this time? :meh:

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are they round wound? 3 years is a pretty long time for roundwounds and they obviously will lose their tone after a while. Flats retain their tone longer because they don't have the same type of grooves which can accumulate dirt, grime etc.. and dull the string.

Regardless of what string you have if they don't sound good anymore, change 'em :)

3. Yes, round wound. Elixers

4. Corona_Clyde

Corona_Clyde

Sep 10, 2006
    I was told to change my strings every 6 months. I played with my old ones for a year before I got my DR Highbeams. I could be wrong!:eyebrow:

5. clyde its upto you when you change your strings, there is no set duration, just when you dont like the tone they make.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I change the strings on my main 2 about every month or two. My not so primary instruments get new strings every 6 or so. My flatwound strung basses, almost never.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    When I used Elixirs I changed my strings once a year at the very most. Now that I'm on DRs I go about every 2 to 3 months.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020