Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have they ever made a Teardrop bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 16, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Just wondering if they ever did.

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Yes, VOX made the "Mark IV" bass in the '60's-
    My 1966 catalogue has a retail list price of $349.90-
    Also available-"Super Beatle" Amps.
    The catalogue says: "VOX-it's what's happening"

3. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    vox made them.

here's one on ebay.

vox bass

4. hole sh.... :eek:

that certainly goes on my 'butt-ugly bass(tm)' list...
    look at that body ! look at that headstock :eek:

no.. better yet.. save yourself and the rest of humanity ! don't look at it ! :eek:

:p

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I learned to play on one! The neck is a Louisville slugger. There was also a Bill Wyman model, that I believe was hollow-body.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I built a semi-hollow teardrop bass, but disassembled it after awhile. It sounded great, but you couldn't play it sitting down because of the lack of a lower horn, and it was neck-heavy when played with a strap. I miss the sound...

7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    The owner of this company is the former bass player for Quarterflash, which for the life of me now I can't remember their one or two modest hits, but it was early 80s. There was a female lead singer I think.

http://www.phantomguitars.com/teardropbass.html

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Who are "They"? Are we them? Could any of them be any of us? :confused: :D

9. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Quarterflash "hits":
    Harden My Heart
    Find Another Fool
    (Just off the top of my head).

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thank you!

11. Personally, I don't think the weird thing about those basses is the shape of the body, but the shape of the neck. Not only is it really thin, but it doesn't seem to get any wider as it goes down toward the body heel. The headstock is also rediculously huge.

12. Raphael Aqiid (sp?) played one with the band Toni,Tone,Tony.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Vox were the originators of the teardrop guitar and bass design. They had four models of teardrop basses which included the Stinger, Constellation, Wyman and Mark IV.
    The first three were semi-acoustic and the last a solid body. The Stinger, Constellation and Wyman had tooth thin necks on them while the Mark IV had a 2x4 sized neck.

Most recently Phantom Guitars of the US have been producing teardrop basses and guitars in both solid body and semi-acoustic. They sell nowadays for about $495.00
    These are medium 32" scale basses. Very cool. I know that Dave Clothier at British Sound has a prototype 34" Red solid body Phantom Teardrop bass for sale. If it wasn't red it would be mine.

During the mid to late 60's Kawai of Japan made Vox teardrop knock off basses and guitars. They were imported into North America under a variety of names such as Tele-Star, Domino, Raven, Winston to name a few.

My very first bass (which I bought new and still own) was a 67 Tele-Star Semi-Acoustic Teardrop Bass. It's a short scale 30" bass that's a Vox Stinger knock-off.

There may be the odd teardrop bass out there from another manufacturer, but they would be very rare.
    The ones listed above were and are the main ones produced.
    Cheers,

14. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Didnt Geddy Lee play a teardrop bass in the early days?

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ah, the Vox Mark King model.

Who knew?

16. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
  17. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    here's a 60's vox wyman model for sale.

wyman

18. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A loooong time ago, Geddy cut the "horns" off the body of a P-Bass and shaped it into a "teardrop" bass. It was a trendy thing to do at the time :eek:.