Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have to have DVDs

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Nivaca, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm looking forward on buying some fine double bass DVDs, either instructional or concert ones. I've already got the Keith Jarrett Trio DVDs, the Akoustic Band DVDs, Rufus Reid's DVD and a couple of others.

What "have to have" DVDs can you suggest me? Don't give me any rarities impossible to buy. Thanks!

2. Chick Corea & Friends is a really good d.v.d. It is live in Tokyo, I think, and then Munich. The lineup is Chick, Christian McBride, Roy Haynes, Wallace Roney, Kenny Garret in Tokyo, and Joshua Redman in Munich. It obviously has some great playing with guys like that. McBride takes some great solos.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mmm, Rufus' DVD is great! I love it -- I've lost track of how many times I've watched it.

I'm going to reccomend the Diana Krall: Live in Paris DVD (again :D.) Some GREAT playing on this -- John Clayton is swinging his ass off, and there are a lot of great solos from Clayton, Jeff Hamilton, and especially Anthony Wilson. The strings and symphony can get a little syruppy, but otherwise the DVD is just chock full of jazz ballads, swingers, and a couple bossas.

4. john pattitucci instructional from david gage is awsome!

5. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Please tell me more about it.

6. Any thoughts on her live in Montreal DVD?

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  8. I have the Patitucci/Gage d.v.d too and I like it. It is a masterclass pretty much in David's shop. He talks about a bunch of different stuff, the role of the bass player, ways of breaking up time alah LaFaro, solo concepts, phrasing, ect. He also plays a bunch and he is playing with guitarist Jay Azzolina. I knew that Patitucci had major chops but didn't quite realize how much until I saw him play some of the Charlie Parker lines. Pretty good video.

9. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Does Patitucci talks about fingerings and pizzicato?

10. No not really. He does talk about pizz a little but very breif. Pretty much just saying pull with your arm and not with your finger.

11. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    I've seen much things in common between Eddie Gómez and Patitucci (their pizzicato, their vibrato, etc.). Has anybody else notice this?
    Does Patitucci say something about Gómez?

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Terrible. The band has all the energy of Ramen noodles! Peter Erskine is a great drummer and definitely a very enthusiastic guy (dig the stick waving at the end of every tune -- hilarious!) but it's just...nowhere near the quality of the Live in Paris DVD. Definitely not a fan of Robert Hurst's soloing, and I did not dig what he did with Christian McBride's intro to "Temptation." I mean, I could understand if he couldn't pull it off -- I mean, jesus, it's Christian McBride, the guy's chops would make any random Berklee graduate blush like a schoolgirl -- but I did not enjoy what he did with it. No groove, nothing to hold onto as a listener. Christian grooves the hell out of this intro and has a big, fat sound for the whole thing on the album version. Anthony Wilson is barely in the mix in this, which is a crying shame -- an amazing player, one of my favourite guitarists. Trust me, there's a very good reason it's half the cost of the Live in Paris DVD. I'd reccomend it if only for Wilson's solos on "Maybe You'll Be There," and "Cry Me A River." The most moving solos I've heard in a long time from a guitarist, no question.

To be honest, I'd still reccomend borrowing it from someone as a lark, if only to see Peter Erskine's stick-waving.

PS: I'm listening to "Maybe You'll Be There" right now, actually. Can't wait for the solo choruses! :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Mingus live at Montreux 1975, is a good one to have - Gerry Mulligan guesting.

Freddie Hubbard live at Village Vanguard has Ron Carter and they do one of his tunes as well - there are some amazing technical solos, although I don't know whether everyone around here would like it...?