Have U added a pickup to a bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Hi. I have a slight problem: through the weird twists that occur in bass trading, I now have 2 Stingray-style basses -- a Sterling and a G&L L-1505. It bugs me, though, to be without a neck pickup, partly for tonal options, and partly for right-hand placement when I play.

So I'm thinking of adding a pickup to one of these basses.

Has anyone out there done this to a bass, or paid to have it done? What were the costs? The results? Would you do the modification again?

Thanks. . .
  2. I've done a few. it involves routing the hole for the pickup, and the channel for the wire to run through, and of course you may want a switch and/or blend control mounted for pickup selection/blend. placement will be important in terms of tone also. i was working for somebody else when i did it, so i'm not sure of the cost, but i think it was in the range of $200-$250, plus the cost of parts.

This is a modification that should be done by an experienced technician.
    Yes, i do like a neck pickup also, so it's a modification that i would do to one of my basses.
  3. I did it back when I was like 16 or so. Didn't own a router, so I broke out the jig-saw. :D I do not recommend anyone else do what I did. If you are good at woodworking and have the proper tools, then go for it, if not, pay someone.

Here's the victim. I still own it. Sounds cool.

I added the Fender humbucker near the bridge.

Back view
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You have my word on it, Chris! Was it blotter or windowpane that hit town when that was "refinished"? ;) ;)
  5. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I took a stingray to a luthier to install a bartolini J-style into the neck position. I had the pickup for free from my friend and the luthier did it for me for some 20$ but we're family, so... It's a nice addition, although the resale value will be gone. I actually use the j-pickup quite a lot. It's gives nice worm and mellow booty to the sharp and punchy musicman sound. But to be serious, i don't recommend doing all that if you aren't 110% sure that it is what you want to do.
  6. I added a bridge pickup to my Eko semi acoustic (EB2 style but completely hollow), and an extra middle pickup (Kent Armstrong soapbar humbucker) to my Hohner B2A , strangely enough, to get a stingray-like sound.

both of the basses are cheap, so I did it with a power drill with a reaming bit and wood chisels:eek:- NOT recommended on any bass worth anything!
    the Eko looks good, but the Hohner's paint is a bit blistered.
    it's best to get a tech to do routing on any bass that's already finished.
  7. Actually, I think it was the fumes from the glue. :D