Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

have you all seen Rising Low and The Deepest End yet?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    These are 2 great dvd's for any bass player. These both happen to be related to Gov't Mule. Rising Low is about the death of Allen Woody (rip)and how the band carried on. They used like 20 or 30 bassists on their last record. Great footage of Flea, Entwistle, Mike Gordon, Oteil, Bootsy, Claypool, Chris Squire, Phil Lesh, Billy Cox, Larry Graham, George Porter, Jack Cassady, etc. (oh, and the great Joey Arkenstat!) The Deepest End is 1 (about 3 hours) live show by Gov't Mule with a rotating cast of bass players horns, keyboards, etc. This tribute to Woody includes Bernie Worrell, Dave Schools, Claypool, Mike Gordon, Bela Fleck, Karl Denson, Victor Wooten, Dirty Dozen Brass Band and too many others to list. I would consider Rising Low a must - after seeeing that I'm sure you'll want to get the Deepest End...

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Nobody kicks it like the Mule! I think both of those dvd's are of great interest to bassists and all musicians. What an incredible experimental setting to see/hear the influence of different bassists to a group!

Rising Low left me wanting more complete performace footage, but the deepest end made up for it.

If this stuff really trips your trigger then the Allman Brother "Beacon" DVD is a must! Best concert dvd I own. Oteil is dynamite and Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes deliver the best left-right knockout punch going!

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have Rising Low on DVD. It's pretty good, but not too terribly insightful, at least if you already new about Woody and the guys who were there to pay tribute.

4. I actually found it quite insightful to hear all those great players talk about the bass and their theories on playing. That was one of the things I thought was most cool about the film -- how it covered several different topics at the same time and wove them together. It was about Allen Woody's life, and about Gov't Mule, and about the bass, and bass playing, and music, and life. Great stuff. I watch it a few times a week.