Have you driven a GK, Lately?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    (To paraphrase the well known car commercial.) I had a chance to compare my old GK 700rb-I with a 1001rb-II. The 1001 was in a new 210 combo. I set the controls the same on both heads and hooked them both up in turn to the 210's with GK's Speakon connector. Wow. What a difference! The older head was kind of wiry sounding compared with the new head. Sure, the 1001 has more power, but I wasn't playing them loud enough for this to be a huge difference. I know, somebody will say "headroom", but I don't think it was a major factor in this A/B test. The 1001-II was just more musical and deeper, yet clearer sounding. I sold my old head and bought a new 1001-II. I am awaiting a 210RBH and a 115RBH to come into my dealer. I will post a review of the entire outfit once I get it here. I am especially interested to hear if the internal electronic crossover is an improvement over using a passive crossover in the cab.
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What's that!
    A 1001RBII with 2x10's and a 1x15RBH cabs!
    That's pretty much what I got. You will love it. I have the 1001RB 540 watt head in a 2x10 combo and want to swap it out for the newer 1001RBII head and use the 1001RB for a spare.
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Did someone say GK!?

This Saturday is the day I make a deposit on a 1001RB-II. And it'll stay in layaway this time....until I pull it out.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Thanks alot, pal. You just got that Ford jingle stuck in my head. Excuse me while I go slam my head against the wall for the next hour. :spit: