1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you driven a GK, Lately?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    (To paraphrase the well known car commercial.) I had a chance to compare my old GK 700rb-I with a 1001rb-II. The 1001 was in a new 210 combo. I set the controls the same on both heads and hooked them both up in turn to the 210's with GK's Speakon connector. Wow. What a difference! The older head was kind of wiry sounding compared with the new head. Sure, the 1001 has more power, but I wasn't playing them loud enough for this to be a huge difference. I know, somebody will say "headroom", but I don't think it was a major factor in this A/B test. The 1001-II was just more musical and deeper, yet clearer sounding. I sold my old head and bought a new 1001-II. I am awaiting a 210RBH and a 115RBH to come into my dealer. I will post a review of the entire outfit once I get it here. I am especially interested to hear if the internal electronic crossover is an improvement over using a passive crossover in the cab.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What's that!
    A 1001RBII with 2x10's and a 1x15RBH cabs!
    That's pretty much what I got. You will love it. I have the 1001RB 540 watt head in a 2x10 combo and want to swap it out for the newer 1001RBII head and use the 1001RB for a spare.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Did someone say GK!?

This Saturday is the day I make a deposit on a 1001RB-II. And it'll stay in layaway this time....until I pull it out.

~Patrick

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Thanks alot, pal. You just got that Ford jingle stuck in my head. Excuse me while I go slam my head against the wall for the next hour. :spit:

;)