1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever been an "influence".

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Sep 21, 2008.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This is a little wierd, we have had a fan who is a friend of one of the memebers and frankly, not real welcome around. He does his level best to be excepted and to help out. Just not a real likable guy, odor problems etc.
    I'm 47 and got tired of looking like the rest of the band were my kids, so I dyed my hair a kind of maroon red (it was salt and pepper mousy brown) and the look works for me. Not a common color.
    Guess who shows up w/ the same color hair.
    I don't know if I should be flatterd or puke?:eyebrow:
    There's more but....

Anyone else have people immitating them?

2. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    So you have a worshiper who smells funny? You can use this to your and his advantage...If he looks up to you so much then you can use your influence to improve his life/teach him how to not be annoying...tout the importance of deodorant and acne cream or whatever. People like that just don't know what they are like and he latches onto your image cause he is dieing to change.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I think he may want to be accepted and not excepted, but it's pretty funny he dyed his hair to match yours. ;)

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    So I didn't spell check and I'm tired.:smug:

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Creepy.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It is for me. It's been a while since High School when people used to copy the "in" thing. He's 27 or 28. You'd think he'd found himself by now.

7. But didnt you dye your hair to "fit in" with the younger looking guys? So your one rung up from him cuz your in the band...but the kettle and the pot are both a kind of maroon in this case. :D

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Point taken, but this makes me stand out more than fit in. It was pure vanity. Nobody was saying a thing to me, so you have a point but my case was more a Me Me Me thing.:smug:

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    He don't go by the name MEEV, does he?;)

Seriously, hasn't happened to me.

10. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ZING!

To the OP, maybe it's for the best if you just take it as a compliment and move on. It probably isn't worthy of real concern unless he gets it in his head to break into your house at night and try to steal your underwear for a special "you" shrine he's building in his closet.

...Or is he already doing that? :meh:

11. he might be doing it as an "F U" towards you ;)

I've had people tell me my band influenced them but never my style-- i guess you have to HAVE style to influence someone :)

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm well armed and have 2 dobermans. He's not in my underware or there would be parts missing.

Point well taken. If he didn't like it, he sure wouldn't have paid to have it done. I have know idea how they matched it.:confused:

13. In my youth group once we had a kid we called Xerox ...

We had a competition who could coin the craziest phrase that made no sense and that he would pick up and start using...

Still disputes on who won...

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Maybe he finds you "strangely attractive" in a "manly-man" kinda way.;)

Of course, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Seriously though, unless he isn't right in the head (and god love him if he ain't), that is truly creepy!:spit:

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm 5' 10 and 155. He's 6'4" and let's say 280. Now I'm a little concerned.:help:

16. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Hopefully, this will end sooner rather than later.

Maybe he just needs to experience some cold, hard truth.

I don't know what you could or should do, but maybe just be blunt with him. It may be better in the long run.

17. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    DADDY!

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I used to have a kid who was 5 years my junior who consistently said I was a genius. That was kind of fun, even though he couldn't be more wrong.

I've influenced a few people to try out 5ths tuning, and even more to buy Mesa/Boogie amps. I guess that counts.