1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever been asked to sign a non disclosure to play in a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Josh Gone, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    NWPA
    I

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    NWPA
    I don't know how to delete this. Apologies.

Ulf_Hansson likes this.
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Worthless, like all the 'release of liability' forms you sign to do something remotely dangerous, like ride a roller coaster.
    Think about it - are they gonna have their audience sign a NDA or they can't hear the song?
    Do they never want the material performed on the radio? YouTube?
    Once it's performed, the cat is out of the bag...
    To preserve the rights they have when the work is created, they *should* publish and copyright the material - if they think it's that valuable.

Probably they want to prevent you from performing any of their original material - for which NDA is useless.
    (I've learned and played a bunch of original material - some of it pretty good. I've never wanted to perform it myself...)

Go ahead and humour them if you want the gig; understand you're dealing with nitwits and make sure you get paid...

mikewalker likes this.
  4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Well if you did sign, just don't tell us about it. :laugh:

The Owl and Sharknose79 like this.
  5. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Great thread!

bassdude51 likes this.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Dang, this would have been good ... :roflmao:

7. Can always put NDA in the title search for a reminisce. The last one was a doozy.

3Liter likes this.
  8. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    What is it you would agree to keep secret?

9. I sign NDA regularly to bid on construction work. It's a formality I guess because in 30 years I've never had one mention of it after signing.
    I had an employer try to get me to sign one when I was laid off one time. I said no and give me my final check or deal with the labor laws.
    Just so happens at the time, the band I was in, the drummer, yes a drummer happened to be a labor lawyer. I got paid and I respectfully didn't disclose their techniques or take their client list. It was a skatepark builder. One of only 3 or 4 in the USA.
    I know this has nothing to do with the OP but NDA seem pretty useless when randomly issued.

10. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I see what you did there....

11. What about a 'black project' band? You learn four sets, but if you EVER play them in public, you'll go to Leavenworth for 25 years.

Gotta go, I hear those damn black heliCOPT@)*@#%&)@&#*)+)$&@%+*)+*)$(_R(_ . . . . . . . .

12. . . . . THEY'RE GONE.

As I think about it, I've heard four sets from a few bands, and they SHOULD have been locked up for it.

EdO. likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'd have to read the actual document to see what they were attempting to restrict, then ask why. My guess is it was just pulled off the internet, and likely is irrelevant, vastly overbroad for the situation, and likely unenforceable, never mind they likely would never move to try to enforce it based on the lack of damages.

14. Dang! I had the OP’s original post displayed, refreshed the screen before I had a chance to read it, then it was gone!

15. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    NWPA
    Exactly what I thought. I didn't sign anything.

16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The first rule of fight band...

RSBBass likes this.
  17. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    99.99% sure a band new wouldn't be enforceable but does raise a red flag. What kind of person would want one?

18. Curious - an NDA or a non-compete? Rehearse with them but don't disclose what you're working on/plans for the band?

I once inquired about work (contract) with (XX) and was told I would be hired, but I couldn't work for anyone else. I said, "Sure, if you alone can pay me $XXXXX.XX to guarantee I can live solely off your wages." Never heard back.

Slightly differently, I applied to a temp/booking agency. Was told that they would be taking a certain percentage of my work pay for their efforts at finding me work. Well, OK, I suppose.... I was then informed that I would ALSO owe them the same % for any other work I found on my own! LOL I didn't sign, and they went out of business shortly thereafter.

Oh, come on, OP, spill it!