Have you ever been boo'd

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Trist6075, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Has the crowd every boo'd you or a band you saw. Does a band just have to suck or something?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Not yet, fortunately.

But we once received some not much enthusiastic applause, but no boo-ing :)
  3. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Towards the end of the '80s I started a rap metal band. Keep in mind that at the time most people - especially where I lived - hadn't even heard of rap, and metal at the time was mostly of the pure cheese and harispray variety.

There were as many as 7 of us in wild costumes that literally tear-up the place. We even had a megaphone/feedback player (who once even won a "guitar solo" contest with his feedback solos!).

Our band was loathed by all the stuck-up "cool guys", especially so when their girlfriends dug it so much (catchy tunes, wild stage show, and refreshingly self-deprecating fun). Also, rap was a hated if unknown thing, especially in rock circles and we were Sabbath-like heavy. We were so excellent they'd take to calling us "faggots" and booing us. This attracted more people to see what the fuss was about and we were doing quite well, packing venues and getting name label attention.

A real shame we imploded, given the trends over a decade later we'd have surely met with great $uccess. Ironically, some of the people who booed us then are now in their own rapmetal bands, following an already dying trend. Sad, but true!
  4. Boo-ed? Loads of times, only once by the entire crowd. This was in a covers band, their first gig, self taught drummer, off-key singer, thank god i got paid. But you allways get some jerks who stand at the back booing, and when you walk past them later they cant look u in the eye incase you decide to lash out. Non-enthusiastic applause have been met on a few occassions. Oooh, and I had a bottle of beer thrown at my bass last year at an oudoor festival and it shattered. Fortunately my hands were making a rather drunken metal sign at the crowd at the time, which turned into rods pointed at the arse who threw the bottle.

5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    No we haven't, knock on wood, we've been fortunate. I, myself, don't believe in booing. I may hate your music, but I'll never boo.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd never boo anyone. I don't want to be booed, so I consider it a professional courtesy.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, when my band was watching the band playing before us, we started the applause after every song, even though they kinda sucked (and there weren't so many to follow our example).
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Amen to that.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Never got booed that I know of. Had the occasional heckler though. I remember, once, our drummer threatened to take a heckler outside and beat the hell out of him. :D

I've said it once, I'll say it again, 95% of the time a heckler is hecking you just because they are jealous.

We do have some disc jockey here who likes to slam us in reviews. Think's he's a major force in the music world cause he owns a classic rock station and go's out on weekends to see local bands and then writes reviews about them. :rolleyes: No matter how good we play or how into us the crowd is, he'll find something wrong with us.

According to him, our drummer needs to practice more, he came to this conclusion because our drummer might have went off beat once or twice during the night (I've played with a lot of drummers and he is without a doubt, the best I've ever played with), our singer is just decent . (Our singer can mop the floor with a lot of the singers he prasises up and down), but our former guitarist was pretty good according to him. Of course, our guitarist would talk to him on our breaks the whole time. He never has mentioned anything about me. Nothing at all, didn't say I was doing a good job, didn't say that I need to take lessons cause Mark Hoppus could blow me off the fretboard. Nothing at all. It all boils down to us not kissing his ***. Oh well, I've been the underdog all my life, and I've shown my naysayers up everytime to. :cool:
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    At a party we were splittin time between us and a CD player. CD player was rap let that play for around a half hour or so & the drummer & i were gettin bored so we said "let's jam" got up on stage unplugged the CD player-got booed by the people listening to the rap & to get them to get away from the stage some uppper midrange/treble slap pops. :D scary part was some people started to applaud upon turnin the CD player off ;) gettin booed isn't so bad-just don't let it get to you. thats all
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Only our singer, he's gotten harassed a few times, but one time in particular was really bad. It was painful to watch and even more painful to watch him totally fail to handle it. I had to step in with a (verbal) smackdown to get the heckler off his case. I've never been boo'ed by a crowd. (yet!)
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not that anyone in the band could ever hear, (and I've played from sea to shining sea over the years). Maybe just lucky, I guess.

However, when punk was controversial in the late 70's, I was booted out by club managers/owners. They didn't realize what they were getting into when they booked a punk band - the kind of crowd it attracted, the insane volume, possible damage, drugs in the open, etc).

If you ever have been booed just take heart from what Alice Cooper's manager said about the first time he saw them. Shep Gordon said people were heading for the exits - faaast. Shep said he figured any band that could elicit such a strong crowd reaction had potential. All they needed was someone to channel the power in the right direction.
  13. I've never been booed - I think that if it ever does happen, i'll be changing my gig pretty quickly.
  14. Yeah, I got booed. I invited the individual up and HE play bass while I sing - he left the party immediately :D
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I once made the mistake of heckling back a heckler in a dive. The heckler threw his Jack'n'Coke in my face.

My guitarist brother was doing a 4th of July gig in one of his other bands. Someone in the crowd asked him to do Hendrix' Star Spangled Banner during the fireworks... I'm sure he tried his very best to modestly decline, but was coerced into doing so. ;) When he was done he said he got boos and cheers, and one person said "gee thanks for ruining the whole evening".
  16. Now that majorly sucks! :( :mad: :(
  17. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    in one of my bands firts time playing for people our drummer screwed up on his timing and it threw evryone off and it sucked.people booed. most of the time the people who boo u are people who dont have the guuts to go up and play or dont know how hard it is to get a band together and make good sounding music and perform it front of people.
  18. I think we only had some mates boo us, but the band was booing to.. weird. lol

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The first time I ever played my version of the SSB, I sucked it up so bad, I should have gotten booed. It must be that song!

I have never been booed, but my band played several gigs where no one even bothered to show up (including the wives and girlfriends) and we played one gig where the guy that hired us actually threw beer at us.
  20. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I've never been booed. but the lead singer for my old band couldn't sing for crap.. The music was great, the lead singer played Piano and was really good at it, tight bass lines, and the drummer was excellent. But the kid Just had a voice you hated to listen to it really hurt your ears... But Whenever I said he should work on it, he go so dang defensive.. saying "you're not a better singer than me, I have a good voice blah blah blah"...

Well i'm a freakin voice major, I've won compititions singing... He sucks and Whenever we played, everyone would dig the music but as soon as he started to sing.... everyone cringed.... no booing though.