Have you ever been embarrassed because of an instrument a bandmate is playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, May 1, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Guitar player in one of the bands Im in is bringing what's probably the most tacky guitar ever to an upcoming gig. He actually seems pretty proud of it, so I haven't said anything, but it literally looks like someone slapped a couple of layers of paint onto it, added a design of some kind made out of duct tape and called it a day. It's actually meant to be a design consistent with the genre we play in, but it's absolutely hideous.

I feel embarrassed for him... :(

feschyn, jackn1202 and 3bc like this.
  2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Never
    The sound is all that mattered to me
    If a tub and washboard fit the gig it’s all good to me
    Duke

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yup. Second band I was in, one of the guitarists had the most unplayable cheap piece of :poop: I've ever seen. Wasn't worth plugging in.

feschyn likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If it works, unless it has something objectively offensive on it, who cares?

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Could be an art project.

lo_freq_geek, John j and BradH like this.
  6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I’m the opposite-
    I think it’s that more impressive if you show up with a POS and stilll sound awesome

T_Bone_TL, GaryLC, Dega60 and 75 others like this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Conversely, showing up with a fine instrument and still sounding like .... :D equally impressive, just the opposite impression! :woot:

8. How does it sound/play?

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i could care less what the thing looks like: can the player produce? it's the only thing which matters. always. you can either play or not. 'looking like you can play' isn't even a thing.

10. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Does it sound good?

11. I don’t care what anyone’s gear looks like. How’s it sound?

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Can't recall this ever happening to me. I've played with people over the years with cheap instruments that didn't sound great, but the audience never noticed so there was no point in making a big deal over it. I don't think I every played with anyone that was really good that didn't have good equipment. I'm not talking about boutique level, just good, professional grade equipment.

feschyn, Malafaia, smogg and 2 others like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    And can they play it.

I did auditions and a guy showed up with a Fender Custom Shop Precision, but couldn't follow a 12 bar progression. In fairness though, the guys that showed up with really, really cheap basses couldn't play either.

14. I turned up at our regular gig, and the lead guitarist came in with a Danelectro 6 string guitar and a $99.00 Fender amp! Sounded abominable. A month later he came in with a Danelectro 12 string and the $99.00 Fender amp - twice as horrible. Previously, he used a hand-made Lowden electrified acoustic through a Trace Elliott amp, which was stunning. I was livid, but being English, I said nothing.

15. Nope.. Never cared at all. Though I did have a guitar player tell me not to play a particular bass in a band (I brought in this killer USA BCRich Warlock that sounded amazing).

GonePlaid likes this.
  16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I would care more about poor playing skills than the instrument being played. If your guitarist has his chops together, who cares....

GaryLC, Dave Neal, TH63 and 6 others like this.
  17. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I have not been embarrassed myself, however second hand embarrassment when playing with the decent, but not phenomenal drummer with light up sticks was palpable.

18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Please post pictures so that we may pass judgment as well!

19. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I think maybe I've been the guy with the embarrassing equipment...

20. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    No - but I've been embarrassed for the guy trying to play an instrument though...

TheDayMan, Edarnott and Joedog like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021