Have you ever been emotionally affected by a piece of music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eerik, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Eerik

Jul 9, 2001
    Have you ever felt some really strong emotions while listening to a certain song or piece of music? I mean all of us listen to certain kind of music in a certain state of mind and as a typical example listening to a song about a desperate relationship after you´ve just broke up with your partner might bring tears to your eyes but what I mean here is have you ever felt strong emotions just because of the music itself, not because of the state of mind you´re in while listening to music.

The reason I´m asking this is that a strange thing happened to me a while ago while listening to Dream Theater´s "Scenes From a Memory" for the first time. I suddenly started crying while listening to the song "Through Her Eyes". I don´t often show my feelings a lot though I see myself as a very emotional person and I wasn´t sad or anything while listening to the album, so that´s why I first felt very strange when this happened. Then after the first "shock" I realized that it happened just because I was so affected by the story of a girl whose life is being taken and music that ties the story together.

The thing is, I´ve found out that as a musician the more I learn the more I listen to music analytically and I often find myself analyzing music more than just enjoying listening to it as a "normal listener". Instead of just letting my mind flow with the music I find myself thinking "Oh, that´s a nice this-augmented-that-chord there" or "A brilliant idea from John Myung to use that third instead of root there". Well, you all know what I mean. That´s why I found this experience crying while listening to music as a very "opening" experience - it showed me that apart from all this analytic listening I´m still able to just throw myself into the music without thinking too much what I´m hearing.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Emotionally affected by music?

yea, all the time.

Whether it's tears or just utter awesome-ness(you know that feeling of awesome-ness)

literally ALL the time.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Absolutely, all sorts of emotions, that's what so great about (good) music...
  4. Right on, Wrong!! Ditto.

The stuff I enjoy most is instrumental that makes me feel

If I don't feel anything, I don't listen.
  5. One of the reasons I listen to music is the way it affects me emotionally.

From music so sad - or so beautiful - that it brings me to tears, to music that just makes my jaw hit the floor in awe, and everything in between, from isolation to fear.

Re: the analitical bit. I find I can switch that on and off with me. I can listen to the same CD twice in a row with no problem, once just flowing with it, next listening to all the ideas and the like.
  6. 'Peephole', by System of a down.

During the second verse, just before the chorus, when Serj goes "...that your life is tried?" he puts everything he has into that "tried" and it gets me EVERY time. Very powerful.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue".

I was watching PBS and some guy was playing that solo on the piano. I was riveted. For the time that guy was playing that peice (superbly, I might add) that music controlled me.

Also, side one of Quadrophenia. An complete range of emotions pour out of that music. Just beautiful. You gotta brake for things like that.
  8. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    My brother is a huge Boss fan, and so I borrowed his 'Rising' album for a listen. This is the last track. He played it on that tv benefit for the 9/11 victim's families 2 weeks after the attacks. The piece didn't really move me then (it was basically a demo at that stage - just him on acoustic I think), but I heard it maybe 3 months ago on a train (discman) and I almost cried. It wasn't written specifically for 9/11 - I read that it was a song he was in the process of writing when it happenned - but was written about the decline of his hometown or something in Jersey.
  9. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    definately...If I hear something and it moves me, I have to stop and either listen to the music, lyrics, or both.

I guess this is why I love music so much.

One in particular stands in my mind for some reason...."What Do You Want From Me" by Pink Floyd.:meh:
  10. Ohh, there's quite a few pieces of music that get to me.

This Love - Pantera
    Psycho Holiday - Pantera
    Domination - Pantera (see a pattern yet?)
    The Sleep - Pantera
    The Last With Pagan Blood - Amon Amarth
    Future Breed Machine - Meshuggah
    Her Ghost in the Fog - Cradle of Filth
    Anything from SOAD's first album.

Girly Emotion:
    Time solo - Pink Floyd
    Comfortably Numb solo - PF
    Lines in the Sand - Dream Theater
    Trial of Tears - Dream Theater
    Through Her Eyes - Dream Theater
    Finally Free - Dream Theater
    When the Water Breaks - Liquid Tension Experiment (most beautiful piece of music ever)
    Gov't Mule - Soulshine (live w/ Derek Trucks). What an amazingly emotional song. Warren Hayes is a monster :bawl:
  11. well, John Frusciante - Untitled #2 always makes me so relaxed. its so great. and "the first season" by him always makes me just feel good.
  12. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah.. many of time

Masonic by craigs brother it ..saved me from suicide..after a ...bad breakup. =/ I know it was a stupid thing to even think about. But yeah, I was ..not.....as "drug free" as i am now
  13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  14. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

Bimp nailed it.

Sometimes I am moved by songs that you expect it from:
    Christine Lavins' The Dakota, about seeing the place where John Lennon was murdered just as Imagine came on the radio
    Mike+theMechanics' Living Years, about realising how small your conflicts with your parents are compared to what you share with them, but realising this after they are dead
    Harry Chapins' Cats in the Cradle, about being a failure as a father but not realising till old age
    David Wilcox' Waltz With Me, asking the girl he had a hopeless crush on in high school to dance with him at the ten year reunion,

Sometimes it's songs that shouldn't be able to affect me that do it:
    Alabamas' Roll On, about a trucker stuck in a blizzard( stupid song, but I tear up every time I hear it. Don't know why)
    Joe Satrianis' Always With You, Always With Me, an instrumental that makes me stop whatever I am doing every time I hear it
  15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I get really emotional over some songs. I listened to a Kate Bush album last night, and it made me cry. She always has really good bassists (Mick Karn, Eberhard Weber, etc), as well as writing incredibly sensitive songs.

OK, excuse me for sounding corny and all, but I think it is cool that a bunch of guys can express feelings freely. I think the bass and music in general gives many men the chance to express emotions that the wider culture considers inappropriate for "real men".

I think one of our jobs as musicians is to tap into emotions and transmit them to the wider public. Emotional lighting rods, we are....
  16. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I remember I once listened to the moonlight sonata....I just started crying, all of a sudden it was the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.

a lot of music just sends shivers up my spine....it's just so good. The solos on metallica's Nothing else matters and The four horsemen to name a couple. Instrumentals are uber good at stuff like that too.
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Everyone seems to be saying it, but I'll add to the chorus here about emotion and music. That visceral emotional response is such a big part whether a song does it for me or not.
  18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    It happens constantly, and I love it.

I'll never forget hearing the Minnesota Symphony perform Stravinsky's "Firebird" in '75. I walked around town for hours afterwards, couldn't sleep.

I once played "Estate" ("In Summer") with the great singer Jon Hendricks. It was a case of playing and observing at the same time. What he did with that tune was sublime, and it moved me deeply.

There are lots of others. Most of Miles' concerts and recordings would qualify.
  19. IronBass

Jan 31, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    George Gershwin "Summertime"
  20. yeah, same here, it happens all the time. the most recent is the chorus of "Another Dead Romance" by Bad Astronaut. The secound time they do the chrous, it just puts me in a state of emotion..I dont know lol.

- w00t