1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever been shut down due to noise complaints?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TexasHeat, Jan 11, 2021.

1. TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jun 6, 2015
    Austin
    Giffro, fauxtoe, Jimmy4string and 2 others like this.
  2. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    "The statement said there will be no more events there until the city has worked with a sound engineer to study the problems and find solutions to mitigate the noise."

I've never done sound nor been a sound engineer, but don't they have a master volume knob or slider on the board somewhere?

Mr_Moo, Max Bogosity and longfinger like this.
  3. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Yes!! Back in 94 we were playing at a " new" club in Fremont CA. The club was next to a Maria Callender's and I guess the music volume made their fancy dining experience less enjoyable. We were slated to play 45 minutes but played only 20.

4. NigeJ

NigeJ

Jul 23, 2019
    Yeah... played in a folk/punk band in the mid nineties. We got booked to play at a hotel pretty local. The set up area was tiny, even for a three piece, so we paired down the PA to suit. Six sound checks later, and numerous requests to turn down later, we ended up with just the backline and the vocals through a powered monitor. At gig time , we managed half a song before being shut down. We were told to pack up and leave after being paid.... We later found out, there was a staff creche/nursery above the spot where the bands play...... morons

Mr_Moo, murphy and AudioTaper like this.
  5. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Red Roof Inn?

Dubious Aa likes this.
  6. We played at a cricket club that was next to a hospital back in the 1990's
    noise control came to give us a warning.... but the noise control guy stood there and listened to the band for a bit, then asked to look at our set list... then had the cheek to ask us to play a couple of songs before giving us a warning!

7. TexasThunder

TexasThunder Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    My very first gig. I was a drummer in a local country band. Outdoor gig at a restaurant. About half way through the night cops showed up and told me I was too loud.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yes, at an apartment complex courtyard block party situation; to my understanding, all residents signed off on it, but apparently there was some crank down the street that just didn’t like the idea of a bunch of people getting together like that, it really couldn’t have been the volume. I was playing through a furnished GK 2x10” tiltback combo, for instance, PA was a couple of 12”+horn boxes on stands. The cops were cool about it.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yep. Many times. Including my first gig ever.

My most notable occurrence though was when I was in Afghanistan.

Hanging out one afternoon at the ISAF HQ biergarten, some guys were jamming (actually mostly just a guitarist and vocalist). They had a bass and bass amp set up. So me being me, I go up and ask them: “where’s the bass player”? They didn’t have one so I asked if I could get up and play. For sure, they said.

We played a couple of tunes before a staff officer comes over and says “P4 wants you to turn down”. P4 being Gen Petraeus, COMISAF at the time. So I say sure, no problem. I fiddle with the knob but don’t really change the volume, as per usual protocol. We play on for a couple more tunes. Staff officer comes over again, this time up on two wheels. “P4 says you’re done playing” and proceeds to unplug all of us. Oops!

At the medals parade before redeploying, the top CAN commander brought up that incident as he was pinning on my medal. My immediate boss had relayed to him that amusing anecdote beforehand! Both of them thought that was hilarious!

I saw that General years later on a civilian flight: he remembered me as “the loud guitar player”. Lol!

I went on to play a bunch of gigs with that band (by the time the drummer had returned from downrange). Played the “Duck and Cover” pub at the US Embassy a bunch of times. Good times!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Jim Kernan, Mr_Moo, CB3UK and 19 others like this.
  10. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    The cops showed up to an after hours party we were playing in the function room of a bar one time. The keyboard player took the mickey by playing the Pink Panther theme while they were there, and nearly got us taken in. A friend back in the day and a couple of others were taken down to the station after their gig was crashed, it was a fancy dress party, he was dressed as a chicken.

Mr_Moo and mikewalker like this.
  11. Way back, we used to practice in our parents' basement. One night, the police came a-knocking but we weren't rehearsing! Have an idea who complained but that night didn't work out for them.

Jim Kernan and Mr_Moo like this.
  12. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    @DirtDog Thank you for your service! Great story, thanks for sharing.

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks @pjbassist - although doing staff work at "Camp Cupcake" was not much of hardship compared to those at the pointy end of the stick.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Jim Kernan, pjbassist and JRA like this.
  14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Once got a complaint in Kentucky & when I was playing in Ohio.

15. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida

gebass6, design, red_rhino and 4 others like this.
  16. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I played a biker bar and while on stage I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to find a sheriff a foot taller [I'm 6'4"] and twice as wide as me. He said "son, you need to turn it down now." I said "turn it down?" Hell, we haven't even set up yet."

He turned on his heals disgusted and embarrassed that the jukebox was the culprit.

17. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    We've never been "shut down", but we have been asked to turn down because of our obnoxious guitarist who has long lost his hearing.

Mr_Moo and Mo cowbell like this.
  18. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Only once, playing in my friend's garage. We were all in our 30's and 40's at the time, too. It was pretty funny.

Mo cowbell likes this.
  19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Once. We were playing one of the animal clubs, I think it was a Moose Lodge. They had come to see us at another gig before they hired us so they knew we weren't a quiet band. They asked us to turn down so we did, a couple of tunes later they asked us again and we did, they came up a third time and we really were at minimum volume so we told them that's as low as we can go. They paid us and asked us to leave.

One close call - we were playing at a gig where we played regularly with no problem, except when the club owner came in; he liked to play the big shot for his friends so he had the manager ask us to turn down, which we did. He asks again and we turned down again and at that point, we were really quiet. The manager comes up and tells us that the club owner said if we don't turn down we were fired. We told her we were as low as we could go, but if that wasn't acceptable, we'd leave, no hard hard feelings. Well, first of all, we were actually playing much quieter than we usually did and the place was packed. We didn't hear from him again.

Just for the record, I hate bands that play so loud you can't talk without shouting and I think that you should do your best to accommodate volume requests from management, but there are times when those requests are just unreasonable. Almost always, if we're asked to turn down, we do and there's no problem.

Mr_Moo, design, Jimmy4string and 4 others like this.
  20. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    We played a private party and after a couple of songs the woman who hired us pointed to the PA speakers and said "you guys sound great but can you turn it down, the drums are kinda loud." We said the drums weren't mic'd and she replied "can you mic the drums and turn them down?"

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021