1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever been shut down due to noise complaints?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TexasHeat, Jan 11, 2021.

1. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Remember toga parties? I think it was summer of '82.

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and TexasHeat like this.
  2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    We had a party at college - top floor of the dorms (12th). We were smart - the 11th floor was invited, so they wouldn’t complain. Turns out, the folks on the 9th floor thought the party was on the 10th, and as they weren’t invited, called in a noise complaint.

Mr_Moo and AEDW like this.
  3. David_70

David_70 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2012
    This summer, played an outdoor gig in a restaurant parking lot (Covid). First music they’ve done outside — 7pm on a Saturday night. Band plays light rock/R&B (Amy Winehouse, Steely Dan) — and we open with some jazz standards. Cops came after first two jazz standards. Are you kidding me? We’re a mellow band. They came a second time later in evening, and we had to turn down to like a “2” to keep going. Weak.

Mr_Moo and The Owl like this.
  4. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Yes - by my wife. I wasn't playing an instrument at the time.

egarcia, Mr_Moo, stigbeve and 7 others like this.
  5. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Classic.

Mr_Moo and 2saddleslab like this.
  6. yes..full power cut off during a gig my old punk band played lower east side nyc. It was a 6pm-7pm slot, barely anyone there...waste of time all around. Back then we just laughed it off and left our beer bottles/garbage/urine as a thank you

Mr_Moo and TexasHeat like this.
  7. Yes a long time ago back in 1978 my band Storm got a chance to play the 4 of July show in the next town over from us Football stadium. We had never did a out door show. So we decide to ask my parents ( bought musicians themselves) if we could set up in the yard. They said yes so we set up the entire show including drum riser in the side yard of the house.
    We were doing at the time a 60/40% of covers and original hard/rock metal so I was pumping through my SVT and the guitars were V4. Anyway we were pretty popular being a original band that had already recorded a 4 song EP ( not every day thing back in 78 kids) We start rocking and the next thing you know people would coming out the wood work and they were lining up in front of the fence. We were into maybe our 4th song and the crowd was already starting to block the street. Some one called the cops. The cops showed up and told us to shut it down. I spoke to the officer and told him why we were doing the out door show and had about 6 songs to go, He did care and said he would come in the yard and shut it off, My Dad old fashion Italian came off the porch like a shot and read the officer the riot act about coming into the yard and the noise ordinance in the town :) the cops left the crowd cheer and we did maybe 3 more songs and pulled the plug.
    The Band we were different :)
    upload_2021-1-12_11-15-7.png

the house I grew up in nice side yard :)
    upload_2021-1-12_11-18-12.png

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    There were many occasions but my most memorable was when I was a wild and crazy teenage bass player. My Jamming buddies with whom I still get together with on occasion to this day, we still laugh about this nearly half a decade later. These guys are brothers (guitar and drummer) there mother finally kicked us out of the garage for .... spoiler alert, playing to loud, in her defence it was an attached garage, I get that now. But I digress, they had a small club house they had built in the back yard, the drummer needed a place to practice his drums so he moved them out to the clubhouse, eventually myself and his brother the guitar player moved our stuff in to. It was a bit snug but workable. I should mention we live in a northern climate so there was a small wood burning stove at one end so you could be in there in the winter time, and being that it was on the end I was set up it was my job to stoke the fire.
    Here was the kicker, there property backed up to a large garden center/ nursery that the owners also had residence on. We would be out there on a friday night blastin away and a few friends would drop by with some beer and other stuff to hang out and listen. Inevidably the garden center would call the cops, cops come over, knock on door, door opens, cloud of smoke rolls out. Cops arent stupid, they knew what was going on but they were always cool so long as we complied and turn the volume down and quit by 10 pm as require by city law. This happened more friday nights than I can remember. In the end the garden center had a surveyer come out and discovered the clubhouse was about halfway onto there property so they received notice they had to move it or tear it down, they opted for the latter but I can tell you there were a lot of memories made in that little shack musical and otherwise. Good times as they say.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Mr_Moo likes this.
  9. BooDoggie

BooDoggie Typical Dumb-ass with a degree

Mar 29, 2014
    That happened to me more times than I can remember. But... The strangest one was when my band was practicing in my backyard in the 70's. I was only 16 at that time and my mom and dad where both there encouraging us. All of the guys I was playing with were in their early 20's, and bass players were hard to find. The reason we where in the backyard is that my mom said we were too loud to play in the house. Just as the sun was going down a car pulled up and 2 guys got out and walked up to our fence and stood there until we were done playing a song. They applauded us, but then asked my dad if he wouldn't mind asking us to turn down some because people at the drive-in theater that was about 200 yards away through a wooded area were complaining that they could not hear the movie... :)

Mr_Moo and Jimmy4string like this.
  10. There's a semi-famous place in DC called The Electric Maid which is a weird venue; not a bar, just a small stage for local bands. It's connected physically to a private residence, and for years the lady who lived there would call the cops if the music didn't stop at exactly 10 PM.

Exactly 10 PM. If you played one note at 10:01 the cops would show up as you were packing up to go home. Unless you were being blatant the cops would usually just chat for a few minutes, laugh it off and head out.

That lady has reportedly moved away but with the pandemic who knows if the Maid will survive now.

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and Criswell60 like this.
  11. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Only by the drummers parents.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  12. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    One of my first gigs ever was with my ska band in middle school playing at a kid's birthday party at his backyard by a lake. The birthday kid's parents got a call from another family across the lake that the noise was not allowing their sick child to get to sleep. The kid's parents came out and told us to play another song or two and wrap it up, to which the singer responded over the mic "we got a couple more songs, thank you for listening, but on a serious note, there's a sick little boy across the lake who couldn't be here tonight, THIS SONG'S FOR HIM ..."

I still think about how funny that was at the time.

13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    A cop once told me he could feel my bass through the ground when he stepped out of his cruiser. Sweet!:woot:

Mr_Moo, The Owl, Pauly 4001 and 3 others like this.
  14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

At house parties in my younger days the police would come and threaten to impound our eerquipment. Plus we used to rehearse in my mom's garage but our neighbor was a grave yard employee. He would walk across the street and bang on the garage door if we got too loud. Poor guy, I thought of him often due to the fact that I spent the last 10 years of my working life on swing or grave yard shift.

As an adult we played at a really cool outdoor venue but had to play somewhat subdued due to a lady who lived on the other side of an orchard who would call the police is she could hear the music at all.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  15. jwoiton

jwoiton Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Dallas area
    While I was in college, we played at a lot of house parties. Those were frequently shut down by the cops for noise.

16. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    This summer, COVID-friendly block party was the most recent. Four 60-something band members playing blues/rock. Visit by the Sheriff at 8:00 PM and told to shut it down. Neighbors now think we're rock stars....

17. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Recently, last October.
    Held socially distance practice at my house, a seven piece band doesn't fit in a garage, so we all spread out on my front driveway.
    We got to practice for three and half hours on a Saturday afternoon before Sheriffs came and said there were noise complaints. We were pretty much done anyways. So we politely packed everything up and called it a good practice.

I have an idea who complained, it wasn't my neighbors. They were outside from time to time listening and dancing along to our brand of Southern Rock.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  18. Splash7

Splash7 The Determined Bass Player Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Texas
    I am surprised they didn't tell you to turn down those loud costumes, too. :laugh:

Mr_Moo and rtslinger like this.
  19. Mr_Moo likes this.
  20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    We didn't get shut down, but had to very mindful of our overall volume at my last gig of 2020. It was an outdoor brew pub on a former farm and they were in a legal dispute with their neighbor over music volume and just being there in the first place. I guess I can understand the neighbor's position. They live in the country on a quiet lane on a farm and now there's a brew pub running every weekend with 100-200 or more people. So we checked volumes multiple times with an SPL meter, the owner was happy, the crowd was happy, the neighbors - who knows?

Jimmy4string likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021