1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Have you ever been shut down due to noise complaints?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TexasHeat, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    Never shut all the way down, but several newbie venue owners thought sound levels were to be taken on stage, not really at the property line...told them that might OSHA stuff, not sound police.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep. I used to have a band at my annual BBQ. Had a few good years with no issues. The last time though, the cops showed up. I haven't had a band since.

3. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio

I think P4 should’ve focused on keeping his extramarital affair quiet instead

Mr_Moo and Ostie like this.
  4. In my most recent 4pc band (2002-ish) we had a nice gig in a small pub I`ve been really wanting to play (I FINALLY managed to book it), our guitarists unfortunately engaged in "guitar wars". While we were told by a very small contingent that we sounded great, we managed to run most the audience out and by mid-3rd set we were told to pack it up (putting it nicely).
    Haven`t been back there in a 4pc since(unless you count the vocalist):meh:.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  5. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    yes

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Lol! And a few other things besides!!!

7. I said we were different ha ha ha
    but not so different from others
    upload_2021-1-12_12-56-10.png

We all had the 7" Leather heels and stuff
    that band photo was me towering over my SVT

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  8. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Back in the 80's, when I was playing a lot of house parties, they weren't considered a success unless the cops showed up at least once!

The Owl and Michedelic like this.
  9. Nope, but they tried.
    1. Had a rehearsal with a new band, punk/rock/metal covers, in the basement of my old school. Some genius thought it would be a great idea to rent out the music room on the same night, same hours, as the local historian society held their meetings in the adjacent room. We got about 30 seconds into Ace of Spades before they came knocking, and we kindly but firmly told them to jog on.

2. College ("high school") exam time. My originals band (pop rock) played a short set in the common area in the morning before exams started. Again, 30 seconds in, the guidance councillor who thought she ran the place came out of the office, head a-shaking and finger a-wagging, going "no no no no, you can't do that". We kindly but firmly told her the headmaster gave us permission, so beat it. She walked back to the office, head still shaking, then came back and stopped us mid-song once again, just to tell us that yes, we were allowed.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  10. oh yeah, all the time!
    I used to play so many house parties in the 80's-90's and all, it was a regular thing.
    Just part of figuring it out I guess. How loud is too loud for the neighbors ?

Mr_Moo likes this.
  11. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Yeah, some new neighbors moved in next door -- Progressive Insurance policy-holders, I believe -- and almost immediately started complaining about the Rumble.

Mr_Moo, The Owl and Timmah like this.
  12. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I’ve been shut down so many times I can’t even list them all. Let’s see, there was the time that we played so loud we set off the burglar alarm in the jewelry store below us. Lot of explaining to the cops on that one.

Another time we were playing a backyard party and the cops showed up. We said we were aware of the noise ordinance and we would gladly stop at 10:00. The cops said that we stop when THEY say we stop, not when any stinking noise ordinance says so. One of the party goers was a lawyer who engaged the cops in a heated argument. I thought we were all going to jail.

And the time we were playing at a benefit, and the house was totally empty. An old granny walks in, sits at the closest table to the stage, and then complains that we are too loud. When I suggested that maybe a table in the back would be more to her liking, she complained to the management. They told her we were playing a benefit pro Bono, and if she didn’t like it she was free to leave. She did.

But the weirdest was when we played a wedding at a party hall, and the cops showed up to hassle our sound guy for supposedly breaking in to a pharmacy next door. Lots of witnesses there that said he was behind the board all night, plus he he was on crutches from knee surgery. You gotta love small town cops.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  13. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Montana
    Never been shut down, but I did play a country rock gig at a bar in small town MT several years ago. Db meter hanging on the wall right in front of the stage. Bar owner "warned us" not to go over 100 Db. Shyeah, right! Your average vacuum is around 75, ambient crowd noise easily exceeded that.

Giffro and Criswell60 like this.
  14. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I was in a band that practiced in a 10x10 room in a building full of band practice spaces. I had a full stack, each guitarist had a half stack, and there was a full drum kit played by a hard-hitting drummer. We definitely had some volume wars going on. One night at who knows when in the morning the cops knocked on our door and told us we needed to turn down. I thought fair enough, but the belligerently drunk guitarist (as opposed to the very stoned guitarist) decided he had to argue with the cops that it must be another band and they should go check on them, too. I stayed quiet and was nervously aware of guitarist #2's, uh, 'equipment' sitting on top of his amp. The cops eventually left, and we never did turn down.

15. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Nope, surprisingly. The few house shows I’ve played all have been timed so they’re over before the noise ordinance goes into effect.

16. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Yes. I once played an outdoor festival gig where the local police stood across the street from the park we were in with a db meter and if we reached a certain level on their meter they would shut us down. I guess people who lived near the park we were in complained that the music was interfering with their tv shows. It was a really strange event to play.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Imagine if you were.... ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  18. huggernaut

huggernaut

Jul 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Have definitely had multiple house shows shut down, including our own.

Lots of cops, not a lot of fun.

never at a venue though.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  19. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Never at a venue - BUT one of the bars I had a regular gig at has a db Meter with a large display mounted over the stage. If you go over 100db there could be a problem with the police.
    The place was in Carmel by the Sea, where "Big Little Lies" was set. It is one of the most expensive zip codes in the world. The NIMBY is strong there.

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and Criswell60 like this.
  20. Several times I've been shut down due to noise complaints.

Even at home from my family, although the important ones are gigs and rehearsals, where it's happened to me more often than I can recall.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021