1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever been shut down due to noise complaints?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TexasHeat, Jan 11, 2021.

1. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Is that at one meter?

2. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Just once. We were in a big house upstairs and the neighbor called the landlord so we stopped. After that
    the drummer used an electronic kit and that solved that problem.

Another time at a different house we got a knock on the door after a song. It was the neighbor kids that wanted to tell us we sounded good.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  3. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Once upon a time ~ 1986, I was rehearsing with a band, a reasonable volume Top 40 band, unlike my other ear bleeding metal bands, in a two car garage. It was a nice spring New England day, so the doors were open. During one of the songs, I wandered out into the driveway and spotted a patrol car in the street, near the end of the driveway. Continuing to play, I walked back into the garage.

2-3 minutes later, a cop walks into the garage, waves his arms, and tells us to stop playing. We do... He tells us we need to play quieter, we all nod and say "Yes, officer".

He then points at me and yells "Why didn't YOU come down the driveway and see what we want?" I reply with "What do you do with people who see a cruiser and stop to see what's going on? I had no idea you were here to see us!" He makes a face, then turns around and leaves... We kept playing exactly as we had. :D

Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. awakefie

awakefie Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO

5. awakefie

awakefie Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Not lately.

One guy tried. We were playing outdoors in a tent (thanks Covid) last fall and the guy next to the bar that hired us came over and said he was calling the cops because we were too loud.

Our rhythm guitar player, an off-duty county deputy sheriff, identified himself and explained in great detail the local noise ordinances by decibel level and time of day. Then for giggles he pointed out the penalty for filing a false complaint (he was well into b.s. mode at that point). The guy went back into his house and we never heard from him again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Ggaa likes this.
  6. BassNugget

BassNugget

Dec 9, 2019
    California
    The guys at the pointy end can't function without staff, supply, chow, etc. One team, one mission. You did your part brother!

jeffbrown, Splash7 and DirtDog like this.
  7. TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jun 6, 2015
    Austin
    Back in the 90s, I was running sound for a band that reformed with new members. We started out playing at this one dive bar in South Austin to cut our teeth and get gig-ready. It was a place where if we didn't sound good nobody noticed or cared. The owner didn't pay and we knew that, but we had a huge circle of friends and coworkers and we always packed the place in. The owner loved us for that and would personally walk the tip jar around the room. It was a lot of fun and we did well with the tips.

That place was such a contrast of cultures. The regulars at this bar were usually one missed rent payment away from the streets and then our crowd was the high tech, well paid engineering type. The regulars did not like to tip and it was funny to watch the owner intimidate them into adding to the tip jar.

Probably our 3rd gig there, the cops showed up at the door. One of them found his way to me and told me I needed to turn it down, so I did. They left and the bar owner came running up to me yelling what the hell was I doing. I told him the cops told me to turn it down. He said, Eff, the cops, turn it back up!!

8. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You know the rules, pictures or it never happened.

Scarysharkface and AudioTaper like this.
  9. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    Playing at home for my little sister's birthday party when she turned 13. We set up in the carport. After two songs the cops showed up and told us that we had to stop because the neighbors said there was a "drug party" going on. Sadly, no drugs! Not much of a party, either...

Mr_Moo and AudioTaper like this.
  10. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    My first band's first gig was shut down by the cops. It was the summer of 1997 and Sophmore year of high school had just ended. A friend of a friend of a friend was having a house party in Clifton (near Cincinnati, Ohio) and wanted a few bands lined up. He was charging at the door, so each band wound get $100 to split. Awesome, especially when I made about $4.75 an hour scrubbing pans at a bakery.

The night was a disaster. Our drummer needed to cancel at the last minute so it was just the guitar player/singer and myself. The guys PA wasn't working, so I had to borrow an ancient Peavey SP1 setup from my dad. Transporting it was difficult, but at least it didnt catch fire. I lugged my old Peavey Combo 300 for my 1996 Ibanez SR800 and the guitar player had a solid state Fender Princeton Chorus.

The most popular of the bands went on first, we were the third and final to play. 30 seconds into our first song, the cops showed up and told us to shut it off. We waited a bit and tried to play quietly, but the cops had nothing better to do that night and were waiting. They said shut it down, no more warnings or we would get tickets. Looking back, they probably had the other bands play first because they knew there was a good chance the cops would be called.

Since the night ended early, I had to wait for what seemed like forever for my dad's van to arrive. To top it off, something happened with the cover charge so we only got paid $5 each. My mom was nice enough to get a cheap frame, so I still have that $5 bill. 20210112_210110.jpg

11. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Mom's are great that way.

AudioTaper likes this.
  12. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Yeah, she was fine until she started meddeling in my relationships. :thumbsup:

jchrisk1 likes this.
  13. kevin wells

kevin wells

Aug 11, 2016
    Texas
    Yep, more than once. First time when I was in high school and my band at the time. There's a music store here that at the time had a small stage inside. They used it for clinics and such. At one time they had a drum kit, bass amp, and guitar amp set up as a display. I'm sure you know where this is going,lol. My band gets there at the same but walk in one at a time. Upon entering, we each go to different sections of the store, me to the basses, Mark grabbed a guitar, and our singer asked to look at a mic. We walk to the stage at different times, turn on everything on while looking to make sure no one is paying attention to us. After a quite 3 count, we rip into Hair Of The Dog by Nazerath. We got about halfway through when the manager hurriedly walks up, shuts everything off, and yells that he's trying to sell a piano but we ran the lady off.:bassist: We got band from the store, which lasted about two weeks, lol

Mr_Moo, jeffbrown and AudioTaper like this.
  14. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    If she ran off over that, she wasnt going to buy it. She was looking for an excuse to leave. You helped her out.

Mr_Moo and kevin wells like this.
  15. Many times. Some popular venues in Sydney no longer have live music because of the number of complaints. One of our local clubs had a nearby resident who complained every time there was music. They were forced by the liquor licence authority to install a sound level meter wired to the power that would light up green, yellow or red depending on the volume. If you got too excited the power cut out mid guitar solo (usually) and the drummer was left on his own. It happened a lot so we gave up playing there.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  16. yup bought brand new in 1975 :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    thank you my friend!

18. 11043468_10155305045355241_7009761208342873482_o.jpg

John

Mr_Moo, jbybj and rtslinger like this.
  19. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You guys were hot! You must of been gigging in Bomont.

Scarysharkface likes this.
  20. I won't deny that we were loud also, but that never got us into any trouble. At the time, I was playing the Alembic almost exclusively with an '81 G&L L-1000 as my backup, through a pair of Peavey CS-800 power amps into a pair of Peavey 1810 cabinets. I kept the clip lights lit from the word go until we were done with our set. Those were some spectacularly good times.

Here's a clip of the band, resurrected from an ancient cassette my son found.

John

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021