1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Have you ever been shut down due to noise complaints?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TexasHeat, Jan 11, 2021.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Only once. We were rehearsing and a neighbor who moved in the week prior called the cops. They came and said the neighbors complained about the noise. We told them sorry we'd turn down. Turns out the two cops liked us pretty good. They said they stood outside and listened to a few tunes before knocking on the door.
    I also used to play at a campground on the weekends. they had a common area with an open front shed and we'd play there for the campers and locals as it was the closest place for most of them to go if they wanted to get out on a weekend. On a hill above the place lived a widow who would call the law promptly at nine to complain about the noise. We knew we had to stop at nine and would do it within a few minutes but if we went over even a few seconds he would call. On nights when we had a big crowd we'd pull out acoustics and do a little campfire sing along.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  2. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    One time we were imbibing on a Saturday afternoon and got the bright idea of dragging our gear up to the roof and seeing how long it would take for the cops to show up. 12 minutes is the answer.

3. Played a biker party in a residential neighborhood. The neighbors thought we were too loud, I'm sure we were.
    When the cops came they didn't come in the house for some reason.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    We played an "old man" bar that was trying to become a hipster bar (OK the term wasn't hipster back then, but you get the idea). We were the first band they asked to play the place. No cops came, but there was one old geezer at the bar that registered a "silent" noise complaint - strictly by his actions, he didn't say anything.

He spent most of the time with his head down on the bar, but when he lifted it up, he had this pained look on his face. As far as I can tell, he didn't like the racket we were making at all, but apparently as painful as it was for him to sit there and listen to our "noise", it was not as bad as going home.

Yes, I've played gigs where the cops came, but this one stuck in my memory better.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Last time was a wedding reception in an upscale neighborhood. The cops showed up and were really cool about it. They listened until we were to shutdown at a certain time. A lot of people thought we needed to keep going. They tried intimidation, offering more money, etc. We kept pointing to the cops. There was one guy that went to the cops and tried the old "Do you know who my dad is?" crap.

Mr_Moo and AudioTaper like this.
  6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    My house is across the street from an empty lot. Behind the empty lot, train tracks.

We weren't really even very loud. But enough that we didn't hear the knocking. He walks a couple of steps from the door and shines a flashlight in the window, catching my attention. I stop us and I go to answer the door, expecting the worst. As I open the door I hear him saying into his radio "busybody". Before he has a chance to say anything I apologize. He smiles. There is a train going by, which he points to. He says, " I couldnt even hear y'all over the train, but I have to come out when there's a complaint. Have a good night, just shut it down by 10."

Mr_Moo, delta7fred and ak56 like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021