1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever bought a bass you DIDN'T want, to offer up as Trade-Bait for basses you DO?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Feb 6, 2016.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    So Ive bought and sold like 60 items here on TB classifieds, probably triple that out IRL... and early on I discovered a trend...when I offered items up for TRADE, people contacted me with items they wanted to trade that were NOT up for sale or trade elsewhere.... all kinds of cool stuff came out of the woodwork.

So, on more than one occasion, especially when I was able to buy something really cheap, Ive purchased an item specifically to trade off. Right now I'm looking at what WOULD be my dream bass except its an UNLINED fretless. Its not exactly a great or even a good deal as priced, but its a rare enough bird that I'm fairly sure it'll lure one or more of the other 5 or 6 basses Im interested in.... and maybe even something Ive not thought of.....

Anyone else ever done this?

Share your success stories!!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I haven't. But one of my best friends, a guitar player, does it all the time. He'll put something up for sale or trade that might be kind of hard to move. Then he'll take a trade for something really easy to sell. Flipping stuff is a side hustle for him. So he is more aware of what the market will bring for any given musical item.

3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I'm pretty picky about what I wang.

4. If you wang your basses, man, you've got bigger issues than this thread can solve...

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nah man- if you wang the right basses, other basses that are out of your league will be all like,"wow, if he's wanging that bass, maybe there's something I'm missing." It's the entire plot to Can't Buy Me Love!
    #patrickdempseywouldneverdoyouwrong

6. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One question: Can you tell me what a wang chung is?

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. I have many basses I didn't wang.

Everybody have fun tonight!

pcake likes this.
  9. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Hahahaha title fixed

Funky Ghost and blindrabbit like this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I recently traded a bass that wasn't selling for a different one I did not want, I figured it might sell quicker. I was right, the two basses were equal in value but I ended up getting more than expected, and within hours, of posting the bass I received in trade. I buy basses all the time I have no intentions of keeping. In fact, every bass I buy at this point I have no intentions of keeping, I have a solid stable.

11. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Most times there isn't really a financial benefit to this unless I can buy the first item REALLY cheap..... once I bought a Zon Sonus 4 string at a local shop very cheap on account of a wonky neck (yes, on a ZON), dead strings and a crap setup. I took the neck off, adjusted the truss, set it in a press for 2 days and it straightened right out. I bought it for $1,000.00, traded it for a bass easily worth $1,800.

But that was a rare circumstance... ANY bass I'm selling or trading gets fresh strings and a good setup... my trading stats are important to me...

12. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    If the truss rod weren't kaput, I'd offer up my Washburn Force 8 for something else.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Like I said, my buddy does it all the time. He bought an old weird pedal steel for $300. He had it for sale for $500 forever. Then he put it up for sale or trade. Immediately got a USA Strat for it and sold the Strat for $650. That one I can remember but he does it all the time. I know because he'll call me about it and ask what I think about a trade deal and whether or not time he item being offered would sell.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When i was buying/selling/trading firearms i did it all the time.