Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have You Ever Broken A String?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Touch, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Yes.

81 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No.

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Well.... it happened last night. I busted my Helicore Hybrid E string. I guess slappin' bluegrass will do that. Second to last song so it wasn't too big a deal.

How about a poll?

Have you ever broken a string during a show?

Touch

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, just on BG, but never on DB.

3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I once broke two in one weekend. I blame it a combination of things. First, I like to keep strings on a bass a long time. Second, I tend to get emotionally involved in the music I'm playing, especially original music, to the point where I have been known to treat my beloved instruments fairly harshly in the heat of the moment. (No slamming on the stage or anything like that, but definitely pull the ol' strings pretty hard and occasionally whack 'em with the flat of the hand for a while).

I was playing in an original band that wrote pretty aggressive music, and on Sunday mornings at my church. The g string went in the middle of a show on Saturday night, from the aforementioned abuse. I was three hours from home and like a moron didn't have extra strings. No big deal, the show must go on.

The very next morning, in the middle of a much more laid back Sunday morning song, the E-string broke down by the bridge (it was the tapered kind). I played the rest of the songs with only the A and D strings. Definitely breaks you out of those old familiar patterns!

That was 2 or 3 years ago, and I haven't broken once since.

4. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Whoops, just now noticed the (DB) tag. This was an electric bass.:rolleyes:

5. wjgbass

wjgbass

Mar 20, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    Broke E,A,& D Thomastic Dominants all in the peg box area on two different instruments. The D broke after only 2 weeks of use, the others over a period of time. Never had any other brand break. Just a poor quality product it seems.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Never, and i pound the hell out of them with a thick pick.

7. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Never broken one on DB or BG and I'm pretty aggressive.

8. I made the same misstake :( Really sorry guys, I'll be more observant next time. (You can subtract 1 vote on the yes alternative)

:)

9. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i think i'm cursed, in a little less than 2 years of playing i have broken every string at least twice. i'm not even an agressive player. then i hear about a guy (i forget his name) in Bass Player magazine that has had the same strings for 12 years. TWELVE YEARS?!?!? i can't imagine how dead they must sound.

EDIT: i didnt vote because i havent broken a string on stage, just practicing.

10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I broke several DB strings.
    All were Thomastik Dominants.
    A good sounding string, but quite stiff, and much too prone to breaking.

11. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    francois,

i think i read somewhere (thomastik.com?) that thomastik recommends getting the precise length of dominants for your bass to prevent breakage, presumably so that the silk winding at the peg end prevents the peg holes from chewing up the string. (that being said, they seem to only offer them in standard 104-106 cm length) when you broke your dominants, how did they give out?

i have some older spiro orchs that are coming unwound in the pegbox to the extent that i can see the copper-colored insides of them poping out. i have a feeling that the nylon dominant sore would have given out by now in that situation.

sean p

12. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They broke at the point where the silk thread begins (and metal-wound part ends...).
    Pirastro Obligatos don't have that weakness and, you're right, Thomastik only has one choice of lenght for their Dominants...

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Double Bass with a pick !! :eek:

14. I have broken an A string before, when playing jazz, not classical. It was a D'addario hybrid orch/jazz string. There are two reasons for why a string breaks; 1) the string is defective or 2) the bridge or nut of the bass is not set-up correctly. Of course, the strings being the thickness that they are, they will normally not break under alot of strain, even if the set-up of the bass isn't perfect. I broke my A due to a defect in the string in the middle of a solo. I have heard of a bass player who broke an e-string bowing the orchestral part for 'Star Wars'. I'm sorry, but that's just cool! :D

15. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I busted a flexicore D in the middle of heldenlaben, which truly showed that strauss really can kick my a$$

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had Spiro A break once, during an outdoor gig, when a gust of wind blew a cymbal stand over onto my bass, which was laying down on the stage. It also neatly removed the fingerboard. The drummer freaked, but I just tossed the pieces into the bag and glued 'em back together the next day.

17. Dorminator

Dorminator

Oct 22, 2002
    USA
    scared me to death... I broke a 'g' string during a photo shoot in high school for the jazz band... I'm pretty sure it was a spiro... could a been a thomastik tho....??
    that was a looooong time ago...

18. This reminds me of a Cincinnati bassist Michael Moore told me about. He was living in an apartment and during a bitter argument, his wife threw his bass from the fire escape into the parking lot. He put all the pieces in the bag, went over to the bass shop, threw the bag inside, calling out "I'll be back around four."

19. No, and I've never seen it happen.

20. Sheraton

Sheraton

Sep 12, 2002
    KL, Malaysia
    I just busted my pirastro Chromcore D string during a wdding gig last night. The setting is nice and i playd quite soft. I wonder how this happen?:confused: Anyway it was broken on the 1st set so i got to carry on the rest with only 3strings and more annoying is i can't take the d string out coz my fishman BP100 is attached to the D and A. I learned a goldne lesson: Never go to gig without backup strings!