1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever built your own bass?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by WickedPissah, Mar 20, 2009.

1. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Hi Justin.

Have you ever build your own bass? If so, how did it come out?

I'm currently working on my own, so I wondered if you had any experience with building.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    No experience, but if I did, it would be a nine-string multi-laminate coffee table with four-band parametric EQ, an XLR jack, an onboard MIDI system, and a candy dispenser.

Or maybe a 2 x 4 with two strings. That would be rad.

Best,
    JMJ

3. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    dude, ONLY four band? c'mon...

you should just put a whole SSL channel strip from a 4000E in there.... complete with the motorized fader!

john

4. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah, dude. An SSL channel strip. It's about time someone took it to the next level, and that someone is me.

5. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    I puked a little in my mouth when I thought of that, but it would be so hilarious. I expect to see you at the next NAMM show demoing a bass with Total Recall and automation...

J

6. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    That would be one hell of an instrument. What kind of candy dispenser?

Some little Pez thing or a full on candy machine?

7. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    After the SSL channel strip, the candy dispenser might end up being the sacrificial lamb of the project. Hmmm....maybe a Pez dispenser would still fit, on the upper horn somewhere.

8. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    that'd be tight! on the upper you could probably get to where you could get pez out hands free. it might take a little practice, but it would be worth it...i mean, what else do you have to do? maybe you could develop some crazy DEP type move to get the horn closer to your mouth to enable dispensing of pez.

http://www.pez.com/

maybe the dodger pez dispenser?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    But is Pez in line with the NIN aesthetic? I think it's definitely in the Beck aesthetic, but I think it's a little frivolous for NIN. Maybe something made of licorice would be more suitable for NIN. I'd never buy it because I hate licorice, but hey, when in Rome...

10. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    After seeing this, I got to thinking today, maybe I should bolt/superglue a Pez dispenser on this build of mine.

11. Or you could invent a Swedish Fish dispenser. Might as well go ALL out right?

12. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Don't forget LEDs! You need enough to effectively render an assailant blind should he try to rob you whilst you're performing. Once he's defeated you can reward yourself with Pez.

13. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    My new sig.

Utterly brilliant.

JMJ

14. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Haha thanks! I really think more musicians should look into Pez marketing. I mean, think about a JMJ Pez dispenser... perfect promotion! Business cards are so 20th century.

15. Szar

Szar

Apr 29, 2009
    You realize I now HAVE to do this, right? :scowl:

16. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Radical.