1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever co-owned a bass? (Purchase together)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heroinsheep, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    Hellooooo

My friend and I are playing with the idea of buying a bass together ... it's a 1200$ or so bass and we both broke... but we both GASing on it very badly and since it's not looking like it will be either of our main instrument we thought hell why not?

So this seems like an excellent idea that can go wrong in many ways but doesn't necessarily have to go wrong.
    What say you wise talkbass advisors?

bassballs27 and jamro217 like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Friends is friends. Business is business.

This is business.

Scratch out an agreement (a contract) that spells out the terms of ownership. Make two copies. Sign both copies. Each of you gets one.

What happens if one of you damages it?

What happens if it is stolen while in YOUR possession?

What happens if you both want it for a gig the same night?

My advice? Both of you save up for one. By the time you get enough money to buy one, both of you will have changed your minds about what your dream bass is.

Either way, good luck. This could end badly.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I don’t see it ending well unless there’s an early buyout

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't buy it if you can't afford it. It will not end well.

R Briere, Rezdog, MrLenny1 and 26 others like this.
  5. Big Boz

Big Boz

Feb 9, 2019
    Don't do it. People do weird stuff when it comes to money. One of you will end up with a $1200 dollar bass and both of you may end up losing a friend.

R Briere, Rezdog, geof_ and 12 others like this.
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Good luck with that

dmt, Herrick, punchdrunk and 6 others like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's an awful, awful idea. Truly a terrible thing to do that's guaranteed to end badly. Spend $300 on a nice used bass and call it a day. My god man. An awful idea.

8. What if you like flats and he likes rounds? What if one of you needs money and wants to sell it? It’s not something I would do, but it’s your money, not mine.

9. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

No

dmt, Rezdog, Herrick and 3 others like this.
  10. Find a pre-owned one for $600 & sleep well at night knowing you own it 100%.

R Briere, DrMole, Rezdog and 19 others like this.
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    If you put a little more effort in your search you can find two $600 basses and each of you will be happy.

armelind, dmt, Mike Whitfield and 4 others like this.
  12. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    Turns out that I co-owned one with my ex wife. At least that's what the judge said.
    Terrible idea.

13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    no pictures, no crazy idea

14. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    don't do it, plus GAS is overrated and 3 months down the road one of you sours on the bass or has GAS for something else...I did this as a kid on a much smaller scale with a friend and an official NFL football...didn't lose the friend, but hardly got to use the ball and he ended up with it..fortunately it was a low $ value purchase

15. Monday Wednesday and Friday you get the A and E strings, I'll keep D and G.

16. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Once years ago in college the band (not the bassist) kicked in to buy the bassist a $100 bad Rickenbacker copy bass. Band broke up, I ended up with the bass, still have it (now tuned with two strings to C/G with a nut riser for slide, I call it "the Bad Ricky").

So it can work out, if it's a $100 bass, anyway. :smug:

mikewalker likes this.
  17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Think about when your friend eats chicken wings and then picks up the bass. And then hands it over to you without wiping it down. Gross.

Another vote for "bad idea".

18. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    This is a teeeerrrible idea

MynameisMe and Heroinsheep like this.
  19. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    OK first off thank you for party pooping everyone! You guys are the best. Not sarcastic actually here its nice of u all taking the time to warn me about this being dumb and not just thinking to yourselves 'ooooooh he's dumb'.

You know how guitars lay around? I mean I own 2 guitars... Use them regularly. But still one of them is just chillin in the case on certain weeks.. or I lend it to someone.. or I lend someone else's bass for recording... So I thought when a guitar of mine lays around , why can't it serve someone else in that time?
    In an era of 'mine mine mine' have guitars perhaps become too 'personal'? Does it have to be this way?

Plus I think in the end surely one of us will buy the others share... maybe it's just a means of obtaining the bass at this time of being broke.. plus we still can lend it out to one another.

And as for the bass itself... I'll tell u what it is when I can add photos..... let's just say it's used (2000s), made in somewhere nice limitled edition so no prob selling later if desired ...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
  20. SunByrne

SunByrne Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Maybe I'm confused because ir an American, but If you're going to go do it anyway, why did you bother asking for advice?

DrMole, bassista6, Chrisk-K and 10 others like this.