1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever done a gig where your favorite bass is just too pretty? Lots of P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Oct 15, 2013.

1. I have been playing in a rock cover group where my '63 pbass, or Fbass BN5 just doesn't seem to fit the bill so to speak. We play a lot of biker owned bars where the local clientele appear to come from a hardened background. I've also found myself playing a bars with a younger crowd than myself and concluded I needed an "ugly" bass.

Since its rock, I thought the MusicMan style bass would work best for me. Based on all the glowing reviews on talkbass I bought this nice Ibanez ATK305 here in the classifieds. I'm very happy with it in every way. Thanks TB!

EAF4D79A-217F-4D9D-97BB-96CE48B89CF6-528-0000004229BB6998.

I also bought one of TB's own user Unclefluffy's Pre-EB MM 2 band Pre boards. The sound is right on!

2F56E521-BE89-4133-B5F8-D5E573A26493-528-00000041E30AE746.

Next, I felt I had to "kid" it up with some stickers... many more to come ;)

049-1.

And the final attempt to make this bass uglier than hell and/or "ROCK", heavy relic'd hardware!

022C20E3-F250-4A94-9D3C-236E43494992-3064-0000047CD53E5FD3_zpsa0f97445.

0C0EDABE-A677-4A88-9014-4A68F2D550A6-3064-0000047C918F5626_zps699e37e6.

1ADCC30E-5B7A-4D82-8F48-738F043FEC2E-3064-0000047CB3232239_zps6364ee3c.

94E8A5ED-F28D-42A7-B93B-F2639183F792-3064-0000047CA49501EE_zpse6cdee9c.

I'm telling ya, it feels, sounds, and plays great! There something to be said for feeling bada$$ even if the image is fabricated. :)

Have any of you felt the need to choose a different bass than you would have liked just for the image of the band?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Ugh. :p

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Well, I like the "Road Worn" look of the hardware and all, but the stickers don't really do it for me.

But, as the man (..I don't know; some damn man) said, "It's your bass, do what you wanna do..." :bassist:

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    my bar bass is a Fiesta Red Fender RW P. it's actually a great bass worthy of any stage
    but since it's already beat up it makes a perfect bar bass.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Sure - I play gigs where I don't bring my best stuff, due to the size of the stage, location, or potential weather issues - I've got a couple of "beaters" for those situations: a MIM Deluxe P Bass Special, and a Peavey Foundation 5 git 'er done in those times, and get alot of my practice time... Then, I have a few "workhorses", I use for the bulk of my gigging: '08 Am St Jazz, '09 Hwy One P Bass, and a Music Man SUB5... After that, I have what I consider my "nice" basses, and I gig them when I feel like it: an EBMM Sterling 5 HS, '76 P, MIA Hot Rod Jazz, Gibson T-bird, etc...

The key here is that all of them play and sound really good - so, I don't mind gigging any of them...

- georgestrings

6. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    I play my best stuff, always. If I'm worried about things getting stolen, I just make sure I keep an eye on my gear.

7. lol jeez

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    With me it's not worrying about theft - more trying to keep my nice stuff from getting banged up on tight stages, or potentially rained on for iffy outdoor gigs...

To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

9. I'll have to add I feel the same way about getting banged up. When we decide to trash the stage for giggles at the end of the night, I don't think twice about dropping this bass into the show!

This was a few weekends ago. Sadly, I didn't even dent it when I tossed it into the drums...

Would I do that with either of my pre CBS Fenders or Fbass??? No way. This bass has been really fun to own and play.

10. I guess that's what SX basses are for?

11. For the 12 years or so that I played primarily string bass, If I had to take an electric along (that I couldn't keep an eye on it all night, ....it happened about once a month) I took a 1965 F-plate Precision refinished in Lucerne Aqua Metallic. If I was going to lose one, it's been the designated victim.

12. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I bought this -

for the very same reason. Must be a Clutch thing. ;)

13. Not a fan of the stickers. That screams pre-adolescent to me. But the tarnished hardware is okay. Not sure why you feel the need to make a bass look beat up, but each to his own. :)

14. Awesome! Definitely a Clutch thing.

15. For me it's to give the illusion that I don't care about my gear cuz I'm only there to rock and that's it. LOL! I think it's the attitude that stems from the 70's punk era.

Hard core biker approval?? I think so.

Maybe not. Lol.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No comment.

17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Strap locks are a no-no, instant poseur giveaway. You need to duct tape that strap to the body to look authentic.

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Well, at least it still looks like a bass.

This passes the test for acceptance.

Please accept appropriate accolades.

Have a pleasant diurnal event.

;)

That said, definitely duct tape the strap down. But, keep the strap locks underneath. It'll be more secure that way when you swing it in a pit.

19. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I've played a Roscoe and a Sadowsky both in like new condition in many "rough" biker type bars..no one cared or noticed..The only thing they cared about was if we played Born To Be Wild convincingly, and the bar didn't run out of beer.

20. totem

totem

Aug 13, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I like it.