1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you ever done something like this?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Esquillama, May 7, 2006.

1. Well, today I left the hotel that we stayed at for last night's gig.
    My basses however did not. Yep, I put them behind my car
    preparing to put them in the trunk, but then left them sitting there
    and drove off.

I didn't figure it out until I got home 62 1/2 miles later. I called
    the hotel and the desk clerk said that a little lady brought them
    in from the parking lot. She said, "Your very lucky!" I agreed.

So, I took both my kids with me and drove back to pick my basses
    up. It ended up costing me an extra $40 because of lunch for me
    and the kids, gas, etc......

Anyway, I dodged a bullet. Have you ever done anything like this?

2. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    Back in the early 80's, the band I was playing with at the time loaded out after a gig at a bar out in the middle of no-where. 10 miles from the bar the guitarist asked if we remembered loading his new $1200 gibson, nobody did. We hurried back to the bar and there it was, still leaning on the car we were parked next to. This was at 2 am.

3. I have fortunately not done anything like this. But I am going to make sure I re-read this thread at least once a week to help make sure I never do! **Knocking on wood right now...**

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

5. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    i excited about gigging with my new stack so i loaded up everything or so ithought for this gig. BUt then luckliy i realized that i forgot my bass and would of left it.

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I remember loading up a van load of stuff for a drummer on the way TO a gig - he had a TON of kit. 5 miles down the road he muses... did I remember to bring my drumsticks? He hadn't! We had to go back for them. Great drummer - didn't last long...

I'm totally paranoid about my bass. It goes in the car where I can see it. On the drive home I check it's there at least three times! Sometimes I even reach back and lift it lightly to check that the bass is actually in the case!

Ian

7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I have 2 of these stories...
    1) Drummer had this nasty China Crash that everybody hated. Someone left it behind on purpose and it wasn't discovered till the next nite too far away to go back for.

2) Flipside records used to do this "generator party" out in the desert at a sort of natural rock ampheater... the band after us (Babyland) tended to use power tools and cover the rock with lighter fluid... guitar player discovered 30 mins out that he left his guitar along their backline... he got back in time to get it with no char marks.

8. Wow! Lucky!

Our singer once left our P.A Amp on the pavement by his car. Went back the following morning and it was still there! I don't reckon there's many places that that would happen!

I once saw a car taking a corner with a food mixer on it's roof (can I include this in this thread??) despite lots of arm waving from various onlookers, it bit the dust.... ah yes! Then they remembered where they'd put the food mixer!

9. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    good thread

10. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I had heard from a reliable source who should know, that Joe Osborne accidentally left his first Lakland signature in the parking lot at a NAMM show. I believe it was returned to him.

11. Amen to this, I always do this, especially right before I leave my drive way on the way to a gig or rehersal.

12. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    Yep. Leaving a venue, I left my 5 string Mexican Jazz sitting right beside the door and didn't notice until the next day. Didn't really bother me though. I hated that bass.

13. Didn't ya check back on it? - even if its not a great bass, it could still get you out of a pickle...

14. Oh yeah - I've done that twice. Not actually at a gig though...

I left my bass at KFC for half an hour a couple weeks ago, and realised just before I left cash converters. (I stopped to check out a box of vinyls...suddenly realised I didn't have a bass to pick up when I stood up after searching the box! - I was ****TING myself...)

Thank GOD for that! I may have been on the train halfway into a half hour journey home before I noticed...LUCKILY it was still at the table where I'd left it, but there were a couple of guys talking about it and looking at the bag when I walked in - that was probably a VERY narrow escape! It was my no.1 to boot...:eek:

15. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO

Didn't notice till the next day. And she was gone. I said a few dirty words then borrowed a bass for a while till I got my Sterling.

16. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I remember a while back a girl I knew left her guitar on a bus. She never got it back :crying: I think it was a nice Strat.

17. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    My band played a gig where there were several other bands playing , and as it was an outdoor venue they had shipping containers for the bands warm up and dressing etc. anyway when we were packing i didn't notice but someone ( one of the venue crew) had misplaced my EB3 copy and annother guitar player had taken it instead of his SG, caught up the next day and did the prisoner exchange thing.

18. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    I once forgot to close the tailgate of my pickup leaving a gig.... the topper lid was down, but the gate was open....with damn near everyone's gear in there!
    34 miles later, I pulled up to the jam hall and waited for everyone to arrive and help me unload.......and nearly had a COW when I found the tailgate down....... with absolutely nothing missing..... the drummer had piled his hockey bag of hardware across the very back of the load, and it held everything in!
    Now, the hardware bag ALWAYS load locks things, no matter what!

19. My #1 always rides shotgun with a seatbelt.

I've had severe OCD for my gear since I started playing.:smug:

When I'm touring, I pack and load ALL of my own gear.

(BTW, I've done the "lift test" once or twice, myself. ;))

20. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I once left a mug of coffee on my car. It was my favorite mug too. It's probably beside the road somewhere in a ditch. :p