1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever ended up buying a bass you swore you would NEVER own?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

This thread is more about how tastes can change over time than it is a forum to bash specific manufacturers........

Personally, I have absolutely HATED Warwicks since I sold my 1997 Fortress Masterman years ago. The Warwick sound for the most part was too thumpy or "growly":rolleyes: for my tastes. This was during my love affair with ultra modern sounding basses like Sadowsky.

Fast forward a few years and I am now finding it hard to keep my hands off a new to me 2005 L.E. Warwick Corvette Hot Rod 5er that I traded for. What a nice bass.

Now this all maple 2005 Hot Rod (as well as my old Fortress Masterman) are not what I would call atypical of the Warwick sound... but still, they are Warwicks and still have some of that thump. BTW, I NEVER thought I could ever get a great slap sound out of anything but a Jazz-style or Stingray.... I was suprised at how good the Hot Rod sounds.

Anyways, maybe my horizons are starting to broaden or I am getting soft in my old age.;):D I still love Jazz-style basses, Stingrays, Roscpoes and other basses, but I honestly didn't think I would ever own a 'Wick again.

So...... anyone out there swear they would never buy a Fender, and now own 10? Did you take an oath never to buy a EBMM but now own so many that you recently found yourself drinking beers with Steve Lukather at one of Sterling Ball's house parties?:p

BTW, here is my Warwick.....
    Warwick1.

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I can't think of a time in my life when I WANTED a Squier. But thats changed since the production of the Vintage Modified Jazz.

3. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I swore that I would never own a Fender in my earlier years of bass playing. "How unoriginal" I thought.

Now, I'm a huge Fender fan. Just traded my 08 AmSt Jazz V, and I miss it to death.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I never wanted an SX until I got inquisitive of modding.

Im ordering one next week!

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I thought I saw you in Palm Springs too...

Hey I used to not like Warwicks too but I love the $$ (used to have one).

I swore that I will never own a bass (any bass) with a rosewood f/b but when EBMM made the Dargie available in rosewood only then I had to break my rule in order to get on the limited production bandwagon.

6. rhcp32291

rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    My friends poorly set up MIM Jazz made me misjudge Jazz basses. For a few years I hated them and I was all about my stingray. Then I played a Lakland and now I have a DJ5 that I am more than happy with.

7. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Its changed to the opposite to me.

I used to LOVE EBMM basses. Stingrays were my favorite.

Last trip to GC left me hating them, the neck felt way too wide at the nut.

8. Could be GC...? They never seem to have good setups that always lead to bad impressions

9. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    An active Fender Jazz USA Deluxe ... I thought this would the last bass on earth I would ever own ... I used to have an Ibanez EDC700 active bass. The active controls were so hard for me to dial in a good tone. I assumed that this would be the same for all active basses. So I sold it and and bought Fender USA Jazz. I returned it when I found an ad for Fender "Sting" bass which is what I really wanted. At the same time I saw an ad for the a used Fender USA Jazz deluxe. I checked it out and it was being sold by a guy whose father wanted him to start paying his own university tuitions. Long story short I returned the new US Jazz to the music store, bought both the Sting and the USA Deluxe Jazz for less than the US Jazz itself.

The USA Jazz Deluxe is so awesome. It is so easy to dial in my desired tone. I love it .. and I only payed a quarter of it's value (it was only 6 months old when I bought it)

10. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    I started playing bass in in 1994 and thought p-basses were lame. I went from a pointy yamaha to an ibby SR400, which i loved ta the time. Now, I play nothing but p-basses.

11. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Haha could be,
    but my Jazz bass neck is Geddy Lee thin,
    and it felt too wide, which is a construction thing.

Then again, I've played ones I like, but never really love.

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've never really had any reservations about any particular bass, but I've had the opposite happen. For the longest time, I thought that a Modulus would be my dream bass. The thought of a neck that would never move or need adjustment (that's before they had truss rods) was very appealing. However, the few that I tried just didn't feel right to me. They were very nice instruments, but I didn't like the feel of the graphite necks.

13. I didn't think I'd own a Warwick because of the looks. I never made any connection to the sonic possibilities until I picked a Warwick $$ some months ago, now my main bass :)

14. Same here. Now I dare someone to try to take my Marcus Miller sig lol.

15. the engine

the engine Guest

Me too. Thought Fender's sucked. Now I have 2! Love 'em both!

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I used to say I'd never own a Fender, and would stick with Ibanez and their necks forever.

Currently, most of my basses besides 3 are Fender or Squier as well as a T-40, which has the best neck of them all.

17. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I swore I would NEVER, EVER own a Sadowsky! Pay that much for a Fender clone! No way, no how!

:bag:

Now I own two NYC Sadowsky's! A fretted and a fretless!
    sadowsky_family.

18. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Newer Ibanez basses. I played a few from the early 80s that I liked but ended up selling for one reason or another (Musicians and a Roadstar [II?]) as well as a few of their early copies.

Whenever I picked up a newer one I felt it to be like cheap junk, no matter the price range.

My friend Ness has a beat to **** purple one that I love and I'm trying to get her to sell it to me.

19. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm personally waiting to find an active bass to show me they're worth it. I had a rather nice recent model (one of the last with P-J pickups so not NEW) Ibanez Soungear that was a VERY comfortable bass to play, but I never found a sound that interested me the way passive basses have their own natural sound to them. It just felt unnatural and cold to me.

As of right now I dont THINK I'll ever like an active, but I'm pretty sure I'll wind up buying one in the end to prove myself wrong, so I can't say anything for sure!

20. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    There is something redeeming about every bass, I love the early P basses with the small Telecaster styled head stock.I don't think I would go out of my way to get a Fender Jazz Bass. Just to big and heavy for me.