Have You Ever Fallen Out Of Love With An Effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hello, everyone.

Has anyone bought an effect, and thought it was the best thing going, only not to like it so much months or years later?

I'm referring to my Boss ME-50B.

I plugged it in yesterday for the first time in a few years, and it no longer impresses me.

It has a few decent sounds when used with my Fender T-Bucket acoustic bass, but when I plugged in my Jack Casady, it seemed like any effect I used took away from the Jackbass' tone. My Jackbass seemed to sound cleaner when I took the ME-50B out of the signal chain, and plugged straight into the amp.

Is this possible?

I'm starting to think of this thing like cable TV: 50 channels, and there's nothing I want to watch.

Maybe I'll see if I can trade it in when I find a decent EQ to buy.

Anyone else?

Mike

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yes: every effect i've ever had/tried/depended on! i'm regularly thinking that it would be cool to jack around with tones and sounds. but my real world experience is usually filled with a lot of time spent monkeying around for very little payoff.

but i guess it's fun....right? ;)

andruca, crapusername and Tommyc like this.
  3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

As a non gigging casual play these days I find myself trading in and out my octave more than any other effect. It's just so incredibly situational. I like it for a time, then just get tired of it and yank it out of my signal chain.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Chorus, envelope filter, and compression. Especially chorus and compression. And all of them are back on my board again.

5. I had the ElectroHarmonix BassBalls purchased in the late '70s. I made it 'my sound' as an always on effect as I was filling up space in a trio. After I rediscovered the sound of a natural bass on a better amp, I kept the effect until the late '90s when I tried it out again to see if I had any use for the sound. End result was I sold it.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I've had this big box Q-Tron since the 90's - it's obviously seen lots of use. I absolutely loved it back then when I was really into funk. Then I didn't use effects for a long time, and then recently got back into them. Now having played modern filters, particularly the 3Leaf Wonderlove and IE Xero Deluxe, I realized how much of a PITA the Q-Tron is. Volume spikes, weird gain, effected signal when bypassed.. the big box just can't compete with these other guys, and most likely will never ride the board again - I should probably put it in a display case with my first Muff...

0K4oXvE.jpg

Novarocker likes this.
  7. Envelope filters, some of the synth stuff and compression (mainly because I didn't know how to use it). I am playing around with compression again, and finally hearing it.
    @JimmyM How could you fall out of love with the lush curves of chorus...

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The 80's burned me out on it.

Bob_Ross, Novarocker and crapusername like this.
  9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The classifieds are a shining example of this special kind of bass bafoonery, but I'm also guilty. I don't think anyone who has maintained any kind of board for a significant amount of time hasn't fallen out of love with at least some of what's on it from time to time. It's why there's always a healthy selection of very good octavers and phasers available bargain prices. I think more of it comes down to that people discover they have no real world utility for a certain effect, so they can't justify keeping it.

markmck79 likes this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Bought & sold Wah pedals twice now. The second time I had a go at modifying it & it did sound better than it did originally, but still wasn't what I wanted.
    If I get another it will be the Screamin' Demon.

11. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    It probably did sound better straight in, those Boss units suck some tone and livelyness out of the signal. The effect sounds are only okay too.

Good news is that there are lots of other choices out there that don't have this issue. Single pedals have the magic of interaction as well. I've bought and sold a ton of effects, some I've loved and some I've grown to hate. It all depends which way the wind blows, and if you choose to listen.

Something else that changes with playing experience is your ear for sound. As you hear nuance in your playing and other musicians, it begins to change how you hear yourself. What was fine yesterday suddenly sounds like something is missing. And that's good. It's music, not sidewalk paving.

FilterFunk likes this.
  12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    What you are describing is exactly why I gave up on Multi Effects units. I found that every one I tried only had one or two patches that I found useful or sounding good and never anything worth spending that much money for one or two sounds. I only took my flanger out of my signal chain because I didn't have enough space on my daisy chain power supply for it. I ordered a 29.5"x 15.75" board from Rondo and a used Dunlop DC Brick to solve that problem.

C/S,
    Rev J

13. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    This happened to me with my coveted Sansamp BDDI and a little later with my VT Bass.

Actually gave both of them a second chance, but by the time the Round 2 started with the VT, I'd already discovered Tronographic's Rusty Box.

Kind of fell out of love with Tech 21 as a whole but I'm still interested in trying out an Oxford at some point.

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. They burnt me out too, just for different reasons...

15. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    I still love Multifx as an experimentation tool and I used in the past in live situations (I regret to sell my boss GT6-B actually). Now I only use a Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe and a Zoom Ms60b (flanger/tuner).

I'm in a similar point. I love my Bass Driver Deluxe when I use it in my rock/metal band. It gives me the tone I wanted for years.. but for other uses I find that mid scooped tone useless at all (for me!!) and it sucked the tone of my active P Bass.I'm looking for a two channel bass preamp DI (LE Bass , B7K ultra, MXR..)

cataract likes this.
  16. OP, You've just described the human condition — the need for constant stimulation, but alas desensitization and entropy ensue, so we look elsewhere for our next fix.

Better living through consumerism.

Some people collect pocket-knives, I collect stompboxes.

17. I haven’t gotten over the way good pedals sound but I am currently over using pedals altogether. I got the the point where I just found them too distracting.

18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I beleive the entire effects industry is predicated on us falling out of love with every device at some point.

JimmyM and jazznrick like this.
  19. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Used to looooove Tremolo, but hate it now. On the plus side I'm back with a Flanger yeah :woot::D

20. Ever fallen in love with a pedal you shouldn't have fallen in love with?

Novarocker and muggsy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021