1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have You Ever Forgotten Gear After A Gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by hotrodjohn, Oct 11, 2020.

1. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    And I’m not talking about cables and other small replaceable items. I’m talking about instruments and other items of major value. Years ago I left behind a SWR SM-500 amp at a honky tonk after a show. Didn’t realize it until the next morning, sped over to the bar when they opened and it was still on the stage. Another time I thought it would be cool to take 3 basses to a gig at a rock club. I get home at 4 am, and I realize there are only 2 basses in the truck. I text the owner and they tell me the sound guy grabbed it and put it in the locked owner’s office for me to pick up. A sweet Ric 4001V63. I am a total idiot, but a lucky one.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always do an idiot check after I put things together and after load the car, both before and after the gig. At least once.

3. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Never. Too much of this to ever overlook something valuable.

819nf6XyVPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    We also idiot check after we're done loading up for the night, so far it's worked out well

5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That's how I got my Ric 4003 ... Finders Keepers ;)

DTRN, Holdsg, Doctor Intrepid and 6 others like this.
  6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Things I've personally left behind: mic, strap (with wireless transmitter). I always check for bass case, rack, and cabs though.

Drum gear seems to be the most likely to be left. Throne and kick pedal are the first things that come to mind.

7. Heyturnup

Heyturnup

Mar 28, 2016
    idaho
    It's strange this topic would come up the weekend after I left my bass at the venue. My bandmates took care of it for me, very thankful for those people They kept texting me all week with questions about it, like you'd receive from a craigslist ad.

DTRN, Miles_ONeal, Mr_Moo and 4 others like this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've forgotten a strap, stand, and even my bass on one occasion. I quickly figured it out and returned to the bar to grab it before my bandmates left. Pretty short list for over 3K gigs.

Miles_ONeal and Mr_Moo like this.
  9. I'm usually first in last out and always do the wall to wall idiot check including the loading zones with a flashlight. I learned early on that this is a good way to engender good relations with fellow musicians and occasionally add miscellaneous items to my collection.

It later saved the days and thousands of dollars when it was my job at SHOWCO.

10. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I left my tablets after a sound gig, lucky one of the band members was still there and was able to grab them for me

11. When I was doing indoor sports photography I was covering the 2003 Gymnastics World Championships in Anaheim, which is pretty close to home for me. One night after competition I left a $4400 Canon 1D camera body in the press room and didn't realize it till I got home. At that time I had 4 of those bodies so it was hard to keep track of them. I drove all the way back and it was still there sitting on the table. *WHEW!!!* If that happened in some other country it would have been gone.

12. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Just small stuff! Have a checklist for load in at home, so that I don’t miss something at gig, and do idiot check at load out. It could still happen even if you are careful too, I have a checklist and stage everything to a load out area, Then count it, then I load. It’s still possible to drive away with things in the load out area- ask me how I know that one :roflmao:

Miles_ONeal, Mr_Moo and lfmn16 like this.
  13. biggredd

biggredd Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I left a pair of Chauvet DJ Gigbar Flex LED light bars ($500 a piece). Luckily they were still there the next morning.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  14. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    As I was loading in at a hotel gig, a member of another band packed my Fender off the dock and into their truck, then drove off with it. Fortunately, their bassist noticed after a few miles and drove it back for me!

15. To this day, I am unsure if the Nady wireless receiver I brought to a gig at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz was stolen off the stage during the between bands chaos, or if I left it there. Didn't even notice for a week, so it's not like it was a great loss either way.

16. Blues Daddy

Blues Daddy

Jul 1, 2016
    I somehow forgot my bass at the venue after the show one time twenty years ago - the keyboard player called me as I was driving home to let me know that he had it. Ever since then it's the first thing that I secure in my car when packing up.

One time our drummer left his cymbal bag at home . . . that was an interesting gig. Fortunately he was a very good (jazz oriented) drummer and really pulled it off playing every number with just skins.

17. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Left a bass back in Sept 2018. Bar staff put it in the office, then I picked it up the next day while taking a good ribbing from the bar owner about it. Had only owned it for a few weeks. Have made sure that's never happened again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yep, I've left basses and amps a couple of times. I really hate being interrupted during loadout because that's what happened every single time.

For some reason I always look in the back of the car before leaving home but often don't when heading home, maybe because I'm tired? Strange how the mind works.

What really helps is bringing less stuff to the gig. On gigs where it's just my bass and a combo amp it's heard to screw up and leave something behind :roflmao:

19. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    The only thing I ever had to return for were clothing items ;-)
    Duke

20. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    We used to bring a torn in half dollar bill when we ran corporate sound gigs. No value but easily lost and we would place it on top of the board.

The idiot check was always done, but generally if we remembered to load out that half dollar there wasn’t much else we forgot.