1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever gotten a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    ..that looks incredible, and plays incredible, but doesn't exactly sound incredible? The bass has usuable tones, but you expected more from it tone wise considering how beautiful it looks and how well it plays?

Did you keep this bass, sell it, trade it, ect?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, I've had a couple like that in the recent past. I won't mention the names of the builders, but I ended up selling/trading them rather quickly.

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Played a link luthier, Did not care for the "semi- hollow" sound
    that It had. The neck was awesome "v" neck though, Laminates of the neck were broad-way, instead of short-way.
    [​IMG]

http://members.aol.com/lincinc/bass.html

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    No. I don't buy instruments that don't sound good. That's the PRIMARY criterion. I've seen a lot of those, and I sold a bunch (I managed a guitar store for 11 years). I'm frankly surprised at the people who buy with their eyes, their hands, and their catalogs, but don't buy with their ears.

jte

5. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    See the Spector ReBop in my avatar. Had it for a few years as a gigging instrument, but if fell flat in the studio and I finally decided to part with it this past summer in favor of a Human Base - BaseX.oc5

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Me too.
    Sold them also.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Well, it was cheap, so i bought it, played with it a bit, then swapped the pickups.

8. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Yep, with my custom Stambaugh. Let me say this was no fault of Chris'.. The bass came exactly as I requested. The problem was that I had originally spec'd it out as passive. When I got it, it just didn't have the Pile Drivingly Heavy[sup]®[/sup] tones I was hearing in my head.. I dropped in a Bartolini 3-band and the problem was solved...

[​IMG]

9. I had one once (brand omitted) that felt great, played great and looked great. But I could never get the tone out of it that I wanted, nor could I live with the tone that it produced so well. It's gone now.

10. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Yep

Won't call out names, but the thing was real nice on all fronts, got tons of complements, but the tone didn't inspire me, so I just stopped playing it. It's gone now, but it's such a subjective thing. Other people thought it sounded great..

11. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Yes, once or twice in the past (I haven't owned that many basses)... I hung on to them for a while for sentiment or whatever, specially one with a long wait time. But after a while they had to go, if I didn't like the tone I figured someone else will.

I actually have an incoming bass (used), never got a chance to play one so hopefully it works out... I hate having to buy/sell/trade basses.

12. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Yep, and I sold that bass as quickly as I could. It was the best playing bass I've ever owned - it really seemed to play it self. looked great. It even had sentimental value as it used to belong to one of my bass heros. But it didn't sound great on stage, so it was out of the door!

13. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    My old Rockbass Corvette. Has the looks, I love how it feels, but the sound is bland.

14. You may ask why all the aftermarket pick-up and preamp manufacturers are in business.

15. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Good idea for a thread. I've had this happen with two instruments. In both cases, the basses were beautiful to look at, playability was amazing, and they sounded incredible in a solo setting. But, they were just too "soft" (quotes for the subjectivity of the term) and didn't cut through in various ensemble settings.

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Ditto. I found a bass I liked, it was on clearance for half the sale price (used of course), and I ended up switching out the stock barts for some big singles and now it sounds fantastic. All said and done I got the bass for less than 1/3 of its new price.

17. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Yes. Luckily I was in the 72 hour period that you can choose to return the item.

I did. Thankfully.

18. This is how I deal with that problem too. I buy basses because of the feel and looks. I've swapped the p'ups and pre's out on two of my basses and they sound fantastic now... And they've always played great! Problem solved.

19. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    Sometimes, just a change to a different type of strings works.

I have an older TBC 5-er, with the most gorgeous quilt maple cap. I have always strung it with EB Slinkies.

I broke the C string on my cheapo Douglas 6-er, so I figured what the heck. I boiled the strings with a bit of dish detergent and put 'em on my TBC. WOW! Much better, but not perfect... yet

20. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    I found this to be the problem with the Gibson Money bass. Looked cool, really fast neck, but the sound just seemed a little too generic. I didn't buy it though...opted for a Les Paul bass instead.