Have you ever heard of MAYA basses ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I think I'm going to buy a 70ties MAYA telebass..
    Has anyone ever tried one ??
    Has anyone has photos ??
    thank you
  2. I Actually have one, it`s a semihollow with dual humbuckers and a black-red burst finish and cream binding. I need to get this bass to a luthier so he can tell me if fixing it up is worth it or not, in other words, the bass is in such a bad shape that I can`t even tell if it`s good :eyebrow: . Still, looks nice and is really thumpy and has surived to this date, so it might not be that bad. BTW this is a japanese instrument.

I have also been looking for some info on these basses but I can`t seem to find anything, I`d love i if you could post pics of yours... :)
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    My roommate owns one. He gave it to me set the action and fix the electronics, now it plays great and he prefers it over all of his Ibanez gear. Its an ash J-bass with maple neck/FB and black block inlays.

Its got a meaty tone to it.
  4. okonacat

Aug 18, 2007
    I have a Maya bass, mid 80's copy of a Fender Jazz, which I got off ebay a year ago. They're hard to find info about! It's the ash body, natural finish, maple neck and fretboard, with black block inlays. The neck at the nut is 1/16 wider than a Jazz.
    Overall I was very happy with it, for $400. It was in excellent shape, but could use some mods. The bridge pickup was weak, and the tuning keys are cheap and it won't accept Fender style ones, which I planned on installing. I feel however, it beats the Squier equivalent, and some other Jazz copies. I will try to post a pic, for those of you interested in the short lived Japanese made Maya.
  5. I remember Maya from when I was a teenager in the 1970s... they were japanese made pre "lawsuit era" guitars, on a par with the Ibanez and Aria brands at the time. They were considered decent but not great quality (much as the Ibanez guitars were considered then), but as the estimation of Ibanez guitars of that era has risen over time, perhaps the Mayas might also be worthy of re-evaluation.

One of my favourite guitars is an Ibanez SG copy from that era; it was my first electric guitar and has seen a lot of action over the years. It's impossible for me to be objective about it; because I was learning to play guitar when I bought it, I'm sure I learned not to just play guitar, but how to play _that_ guitar. I've replaced the pickups on it several times, rewired it into different configurations more times than I can remember, refetted it, replaced the nut, etc. It's a well lived-in instrument. :)