1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever hidden a ding on the body of your bass with a sticker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm not normally bothered by dings on my basses, really I'm not- but for some reason, this particular ding on the front of the bass was getting to me, it was just particularly ugly, hard to ignore, and it's in an odd place, it didn't look like the typical wear and tear roadworn kind of appearance that imo look pretty good.

I've had this Ibanez Talman TMB100 bass for a year now, bought it as a scratch and dent special from MF and got a pretty big discount (got it for $119)- I didn't think the ding would bug me at first as it was to be my "beater" bass, funny thing is after a year, I've yet to put a scratch or dent on it myself. It's a great bass for the money, very much a swiss army knife kind of a bass in terms of tones, and perhaps subconsciously, I'm super careful with it.. I don't know.

Anyway, way back in my early bass playing days, Bowie was one of the music my High school band covered, so I was pretty sad to hear of his passing this year. I happened to see this decal on ebay and thought, hey, I can turn this beater bass a tribute to Bowie, and at the same time it can hide that offending ding. :) Decal was inexpensive and fairly easy to put on- it hid the ding and also was an everyday reminder of the man.
    I've even given the bass a name...."Ziggy".
    Screen shot 2016-02-08 at 10.53.11 PM.
    Wondering if anyone else has resorted to a decal to hide a ding? I know I can fill the ding (which I did to level the surface), repaint and so on, but for a $100 bass, it didn't seem worth all that effort.

2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I really, really like that bass! And I think the sticker suits it very well.

blindrabbit and Maxdusty like this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thanks. I think a decal with Bowie's head wouldn't have worked out too well lol. I like the Blackstar logo (plus the significance of it being his final album). I also thought of a "Route 66" decal to go with the retro look to the bass but decided to go ahead with that tribute to Bowie. Got it for $3 and covered the ding nicely.

GKon likes this.
  4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I agree. The black star is a lot more subdued and classy.
    The only stickers I've used on any of my basses are fret markers.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Not to cover a ding, but a star on this Dirnt body used for this parts bass. I don't mind dings, dents and scratches.
    ry%3D480.

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    No!
    I can tolerate a small ding.
    And large dings don't happen.
    A hole may be skillfully patched with wooden peg.

But I cannot tolerate a sticker.
    I'm not seven years old anymore.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    tfer, Manichga, jd56hawk and 4 others like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

gebass6 likes this.
  8. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    my first real bass, EBO, had a bit of buckle rash. Put on a giant 12" Sun sticker and probably screwed the finish. That was 1970

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I have to mention, I don't like stickers on my basses (except maybe for fretboards), but I'm starting to like this one. Again, it's a beater bass but the gouge was really a distraction and not just cosmetically.
    Also to answer a post above, it wasn't my ding but it looks like someone poked through the box and gouged the bass at the warehouse. For the discounted price, I think the bass was still worth it. I want to eventually get another Talman (perhaps one of the new higher end ones with the Nordstrands) which will have no ding and no stickers on it.
    I remember buying a guitar one time that was covered with stickers (bought it really cheap), it was a model I was looking for but it had all these stickers on it. Not just stickers but the guitarist also stuck his medical prescription label stickers on it (to remind himself to take his medication perhaps? I don't know). Removing those stickers and in the case of the prescription labels was an exercise in frustration as portions of the finish was removed along with it. Left a bad taste in mouth about stickers until now, especially when they're not something I like (or my prescription lol).
    However this Talman isn't going anywhere, it's going to be mine until the the thing falls apart, so the decal's okay for me - heck, if Flea can be a seven year old and put stickers on his bass, I'm okay with it too. :) (caveat - only on this bass)

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Does Bedazzling count?

DiabolusInMusic and Sweet Willie like this.
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    It's your bass. It's a means of expression.
    If a sticker helps you express yourself, go for it.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  12. Car yes, bass never.

13. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Great idea! :thumbsup:

14. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Not really, maybe inadvertently, for awhile I was covering every instrument with stickers, usually bands we'd played with. Depends on the instrument for me, if I can see wood grain, no chance a sticker is hitting it. But if it's painted, I don't have any particular reservations about covering paint.

What I really should do is finish a bass with chalkboard paint and change the graffiti at whim...And the drummer has a dab hand as far as the visual arts go...

15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Me either, it's part of the bass' history.

16. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    Bike/Car sure they're painted. My bass's naked so it wouldn't look as good as the OP's :D

17. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Looks good to me, OP.

I've regularly used stickers to cover up empty holes left after I've removed electronics from basses and guitars. For example, I removed all of the controls from the below Gibson Flying V bass as part of a lefty/righty conversion, because the controls would have gotten in the way of my plucking hand. I installed a killswitch in the hole located farthest from the bridge and used a sticker to cover the rest.
    [​IMG]

18. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I haven't used a sticker to cover a ding but I have covered my pickgaurd in duck tape to cover the control holes when I simplified. I like to keep the front of the bass sticker free my suitcase bass being the exception, but the back is fair game I only have one bass that doesn't have a sticker on the back and it's getting one when I find one that fits it.

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I had an old Ibanez jazz-style into which I crudely routed a battery compartment when I installed some active pups. I covered it with a sticker. I don't use stickers anymore... Unless you count all the Fender waterslides I put onto Squiers before I sell them. That last part was a joke.

Helaskold, Maxdusty and bolophonic like this.
  20. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Not mine, but I'd say this bass is pretty ding-proof:

image.