Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you ever just needed a break from music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 18, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've become burnt out on playing music latley. I've been playing bars for the past year. (I know that's not very long compared to a lot of people) The band I'm playing with, it seems like it's becoming self-defeating. Due to the economy and such, people aren't going out to bars as much, thus resulting in cancelled gigs, and just plain, not getting gigs at all. Very popular local bands aren't playing very much anymore. I'm burnt out on the scene due to greedy clubs and bands/musicians with huge egos. I did a recording project with a few people last week, which was really cool. I just feel that I'm not really doing what I want with music, and I'm thinking maybe I need to just get away from it for a couple of months. Have any of you ever felt this way.

My band has a gig on Saturday, then after that, we don't have any booked for a loooooooooooong time. I also might be moving away for a job, so that would give me some downtime. I really want to get a better amp system. (Look in my profile and you'll see why :D )

Just wondering if any of you have every felt burnt out on music/performing.

2. I haven't gotten to that point (yet), but maybe you feel that way not because of the music and playing, but because you have so many negative associations with music and playing (egos, greedy bars, cancelled gigs, etc.) You know? It's like if you hit a monkey over the head every time he eats a cookie, he's probably going to grow to hate cookies pretty quick.

Maybe I took too many psych. classes in college, but I'd say you need a change of scene, incl. band, city, etc. to get you back into it. Good luck man.

3. You know what else always helps is to go buy a new piece of equipment! It's a quick shot in the arm baby...It sounds like you're getting ready to do it anyway, so just do it now...!

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Same here...I never tire of the actual making of good music. However, I do tire quickly and often of the B.S. that you have to endure to get to play most times.

My solution has been to free myself of it. Change gears and find a situation that doesn't involve bars or bar owners and you're halfway home right there. There's so much negativity assoctiated with that whole scene that I've made a concerted effort to avoid it. I figured my options would be severely limited, but after a while I found myself in a whole new circle of people....people who are more sane, reliable, and remarkably free of B.S.

5. I might say start listening to some music that is foreign to you, that might get you out of your 'rut'...go get some straight ahead jazz ( I Might recommend Wayne Shorter or Wes Montgomery for starters) or some reggae or Latin. Might not help w/your gig situations, but may help you to feel better about music in general. Go see some shows.

6. i've had that feeling a few times, but only for very short periods of time (a couple of days, a week at the most), but i usually get back into it in my own time.

it also happened to me with piano, i had been playing for 9-10 years, i loved playing the piano, i'd play it all the time, and then, one day, i just lost interest, i couldn't be fudged, so i gave up (i still play it now and then for fun, but i don't have lessons and don't play in concerts ect.)

i have been playing bass for 3 years and it scares me that in 7-8 years i may totally lose interest like i did with piano (i don't think i will tho, i have more love for the bass right now than i EVER did for the piano)

as for getting back into playing, i agree with szvonek, buy yourself something nice!

l8rz

Tom

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    YES!!! Once, I was in 5 bands, and I was so burned out, that I considered selling my equipment and quitting. When I first started, bass playing was an addiction, but that feeling was no longer there, and it was no longer fun. My wife and best friend begged me to quit at least 3 of the bands. After I did that, the love returned. I was so flattered that people wanted to play with me, that I couldn't say "No.", thus neglecting my rest and practice times, and most importantly, my family.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've needed (and have taken) a break from playing in bands, but I've never needed a break from playing music.

Years ago, I sold all of my music gear except for my favorite guitar and my favorite amp. Then, years later, I wound-up replacing almost everything I sold :rolleyes: .

When and if you do decide to "take a break", that's when people will be pounding on your door begging you to play with them ;) .

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for all the input guys. I have to say that I think szvonek hit the nail on the head though. I will always love music, and I like to be up performing music, but I'm not into all the BS that goes into it. I mean, I know that you have to pay your dues and you have to go through some BS, but it seeming like when it rains, it pours. I kind of knew that was the problem, but I really didn't think about it until szvonek pointed it out.

And I do want to buy some new gear. I'm really gasing for an Ampeg rig, but I need some fundage first before I can get that. :D

10. Hey man, there's no need to 'pay dues' and put up with BS...i mean you play for fun, this is your game, you make up the rules...If you don't like the BS you're dealing with at bars then play somewhere else (house parties for example.) If it's not fun then why even do it? Look out for Number One baby!

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I got turned off to the BS of the music scene years ago and quit...the musician's egos, club owners, etc. made me lose interest in continuing to play. I returned to it several years ago and have rediscovered my passion and play all of the time...I'm in four bands now. I think it would have been better for me to stop, reasses my situation, maybe changed towns but continue to play because I have lost a lot of time that I could have used to develop my playing skills and experiences. I can never replace the years that I was inactive....