Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have You Ever Lost It...?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nancy-Boy, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    For the past couple of days i have been more than a bit frustrated...to the point of nearly swearing very loud on my bass and myself...

Have any of you guys and gurls picked up your bass and found wot u could play yesterday you cant play today...?..

For example.. i learnt how to play music of the mind one of stuart Zender's greatest moments..could i play it the next day..nopes..and ive tried and tired but it like all my techniques that i use i cant do..ive lost my rhythmn and my timing and starting to think that actaully i am a very very bad bass player and that ppl round me are just saying i am a great bassist just to be nice...its frustrating cause i know i can play and i know slapping and harmonic prgressions are something i can do..but when u cant because ur hands and ur brain and ur bass collide..its a real put off...:(

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This happens to me too every few months or so.
    Sometimes it helps to get away from the bass for a few days.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think we all have our suck days. Don't let it get you down - roll with the punch and hit it again later! :)

4. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Even if it is just psychological, restringing and action adjustment can help me sometimes. Kinda gives a new feel to the bass- so you're not stuck in a rut. Try playing different basses, too. Every time I play a different bass for a while I pick up a new technique.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    One time, I got so pissed at my old band for not being able to get the ending to "Enter Sandman" down (we had only been working on it for weeks), I started yelling and screaming, punching my pickups and pulling on my strings. Man, I was pissed! They all thought I went nuts.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Once in a while I'll pick up my bass and just not be able to put out like I normally do. It usually ends up being I have too much on my mind that distracts my brain even if I'm not thinking about it. Take a break,and when you start playing again,focus and it will come around. -Luke

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Dude, thats crazy. You belong in a state penitentiary somewhere, behind metal bars. That's really violent. Stay away from my children.

j/k :D :p

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yea....I think everyone has their "off" days....lately I've just been having neutral days ya know?
    I'm not making much progress...but I'm not losing anything either....this is mainly cause I play my bass for about an hour a day, but I don't focus on actually practicing, rather I just run through a bunch of songs and stuff for about 30 minutes and then I just run up and down the neck at warpspeed(rather...as fast as I'm able to) trying to keep my fingers alternating and even....so I guess I am progressing...but nothing special :)

hoobastank is on MTV...and the Vjays are a couple of hosers.....they are from my hometown....my brother knows them...they used to have a horn section :)

9. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    At least it happened to you the next day, sometimes I'm playing something, stop for a minute and then try and play it again and ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip it's gone.:eek:

10. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Hey you all nice to know that other peoeple have the same prob as me lol..i am at my bro's for a few days and then i will go back and try again... ive booked my bass in for a setup cause i am not that happy with it at the moment...gonna have stu zender setup style hehehe..found a page on a ftp server that talks about how he use to have his bass setup..gonna take it to my lil man in the town...but..yeah willge tit back..hopefully....i have to....doin a gig in a week or so0o...interesting setup...its funky house music with me on live bass impro-ing...heheh shud be fun...:D

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    happens to me a lot...being in the navy, i get deployed on three month cycles...three months at sea, three months at home...before i joined, i was on a pretty strict practice regimine...about 4 hours a day, except on rehearsal days, and i played in two bands. man, i suck compared to back in the day. i'm on shore duty now, so i'm getting back into the swing of it. i'll be 30 years old by the time i get back to where i was when i was 20... :rolleyes: happens to us all in one way or another

12. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    like JMX said sometime it helps to get away from the bass for a day or two. Ive found that helps me the most when i hit a slump and then when i come back to it everything is normal again.

13. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    Since being fairly new to bass (4 years) I worry that when I lose 'my touch' with the bass that leaving it alone for a couple days worsens it. The restringing/re-adjusting your bass idea sounds like it could work. I'll make sure to try it next time I lose it....which is just minutes away.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i couldnt play most of the last month due several exams... i kinda lost stamina but im catching up these days...

the first days were a bit frustrating i hope i get my groove back soon :)

15. its strange but. i cant play my bass when i am going through a stage of insomnia. it comes and goes in like 3 week periods. thats normally 3 weeks without playing! nasty
    and i wish it was other way around so i could play all night. anyway

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I've gone through those low periods.. I get really down too. sometimes i feel that Im not learning anything knew or getting any better with my technique and i'll just get pissed and not play my bass.. then usually a day or two later i feel fine.. i have clear head and i go back to playing.. usually its during those "clear" times that i learn something instead of trying to make myself do anything..

17. I don't know about you guys, but nothing gets me running back to my bass faster than going to a really good concert. Something about seeing someone on stage in front of tons of people, doing what they love......makes me realize that I can be there too. It's especially bad when I go see a good band, with music that I really dig, and see a bass player that sucks. Makes me want to scream, "Lemme up there!! I'll play circles around him!!" I don't say that though :p

I figure all those years I have spent and will spend will pay off someday. YES, OH YES, IT WILL BE MINE!!!! :) :)

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yep.

19. It happens to me as well. I think it's because life itself is cyclical. We don't always feel upbeat and energetic. We don't always feel tired or depressed. There's a fluctuation going on that we have to kind of ride out...like surfing.

I try to do what I can to offset these cycles. I try to stay as consistent in my practice as I can. If I'm on an upswing, I try to get as much as possible done. If I stink, then I try to at least work my hand muscles out then TRY not to be too hard on myself.

Another thing that has a huge impact on me is what I'm thinking about while I'm playing. If I focus on people looking at me perform, or thinking other people are criticizing me while I play, I play worse and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. On the other hand, when I focus JUST on the music, and "singing" with my instrument, things seem to flow better.

Hope this helps someone out there.

20. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I know the feeling.. I play with my church.. And we don't have a keyboard to play over me that and guitars. So very often i have the problem of screwing up my tabs.. But i have found that the best medicine for that is just to leave the bass and not think about the song. Go have fun and it will all come back to you.. It always has for me.

Good Luck
    Lady Jayde