1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you ever not had enough money for a bass that really spoke to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RayO5421, Aug 21, 2007.

1. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Hello all,
    I was in GC the other looking for my first head to go with my Avatar 410. After playing all the store had to offer, I decided to check out some basses.

I don't know why I picked it up but I picked a rather ugly, old '83 Jazz bass off the wall. It was probally at one point white but it had literally yellowed with age and had one big, white pickguard (as in no control plate, like the Mark Hoppus signature basses). The knobs were the stock white ones you find on Strats nowadays. Maple finger board and white pickups. I know its hard to think about but lets just say it was a really ugly bass.

I sat down and played it unplugged for a few seconds. Wow! A nice pleasant surprise, it played like a dream, mabey needed a setup but was a lot better than some new basses I've seen in stores. I plugged it into some Fender combo (wasn't really paying attention, couldn't have been a great/high-end amp) and it sounded like a dream too! Very rich, very full sounding, everything I'd want from a bass. I played it for atleast 15 minutes and I loved every second of it.

I looked at the price tag: $1500. Not a bad price but its still money I don't have to spend on a bass right now. I need to spend money on my rig and later save for a car.

I always see TBers tell the numerous people who start "what bass should I get?" threads to just go to music stores and find a bass that speaks to them. That ugly '83 bass spoke to me and I'd deffinately buy it if I had the money. I can only hope it stays put for a few years when I can come back with cash in hand...

I was wondering if you had ever found a bass that truly screamed "Take me home!" to you but you didn't have the money at the time. Did you ever find another bass that spoke to you in the same way?

Please share! I'm interested to hear your stories,
    Ryan

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Don't sweat it. The more you get out and play basses, the more it will happen.:) It will happen even when you get a great bass or two.:help:

Actually, looking at your profile, you have some awfully sweet basses for someone who can't even drive.:cool:

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, quite recently, in fact.

I was at the Edina, MN GC during their Memorial Day sale. I got directed to a used Pedulla Thunderbass that they were blowing out for around $1300, IIRC. I don't know what it was about that bass, but everything just felt PERFECT to me, and sounded perfect as well, even through the little Fender combo amp I was playing it through.

It *almost* made me break my promise to my wife that I was only going along down there for the ride this time, and wouldn't come home with another bass.:meh:

I'm sure it's long gone by now, though.

4. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That really spoke to me? Twice.

That I've really wanted? With alarming regularity.

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    There's a Streamer stage II for sale here and I am about a hundred bucks short. Well not short, but the wife put her foot down on this one:D.

Dan

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    For an '83?!? What?! I LOVE my '83 Jazz, but Good God, it's not a $1500 Fender!

I've only had one bass that I realized was speaking to me like that, but it was too late. By the time I figured out that was what I was looking for, it was already sold. For a STEAL, no less! Fortunately, it was local, so I think I still may be able to get my hands on it at some point. It was a rather plain Ken Smith, so finding another shouldn't be that big a deal.

7. Only one. So I saved up all summer and snatched her up. :D The only bass in my collection as of right now too.

DSC01865-1.
    '98 Fender Jazz. Never going to sell her.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Pretty frequently, yeah.

9. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    A black Japanese Fender... It was the only one that I thought played well out of all of them that I tried... I think it was the aerodyne one, it was almost completely black... $600, cheap by some standards, but I don't have enough money to buy pretty much any new bass.

10. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Yea, I've been really lucky. The P bass Deluxe I got from my very good friend and teacher, he was looking for money for a recording gear so he sold it to me for a great price. The MIM J was a christmas present from my parents two years ago. They're not going anywhere anytime soon (well the MIM needs a setup pretty bad).

I think I'd really like another Jazz (the ugly '83 haha) and then a fretless to complete the buying of basses.

11. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    How much did you pay for yours?

12. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Is that shoreline gold or some cool green Fender color I haven't seen? Looks a bit like my Sage Green MIM.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I really couldn't say. I've had it at least 10 years. I do know that there was one on eBay a while back that everyone around here predicted would end up in the $850-$1k range, but I don't recall where it ended, either.

14. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    yeah--
    two years ago at chicago music exchange--out of a whole wall of old p's there was a killer 64 that was really "it"--tagged at $4500 if i remember right. too much for me at the time. several months later i did have the money but it was gone by then.

about 2000 elderly instruments--i went to trade an awful and very modified 73 p i had...bought a 62 reissue for 850. had a really nice 74 p for 1100--but was really broke and couldn't justify the extra $$. that was stupid. i'm sure i would still have that bass

15. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    I've always been a working musician so I can't honestly say I've had to pass up basses that SPOKE to me, I've been lucky that way i guess. . I've owned a LOT of basses before and between these basses but the 1st bass that really spoke to me was an 80's Fender Jazz bass with a PJ pickup setup. The 2nd was an early G&L2000. (3 bolt neck not 4 ... an original LEO F. bass) The next bass that spoke to me was a Warwick Corvet 5 string with active electronics. The next bass that MELTED me was an Alembic Stanley Clark Signature bass. ($$$$) And my two current main basses, both Modulus Quantums (5 string fretless unlined and 6 string fretted) both speak to me. I think the two Modulus basses will be long term keepers ... that is until something else SPEAKS to me! :)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of basses have spoken to me over the years. You can't buy them all. But in my case, it wasn't so much a particular bass but the brand or styling that spoke to me, so I was able to have a lot of leeway in the basses I chose.

17. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    That sounds like a MIM Squire. Did the MIJ stuff use the all in one pick plate and Strat knobs? Oh yeah, I couldn't afford a bass like a hour ago! he he!

18. I recently played a Dingwall Super PJ that spoke to me like few basses ever have. But, it's way out of my price range.. I'd have to sell all my current basses to be able to afford it. And even then, I really can't justify spending that much on one bass.

19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    An 83 Jazz had strat knobs and a one piece PG. It would NOT have had white pups tho, as far as I can remember anyhow.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    All the %^&*@#$ time.

And keyboards I can't afford. And mixers and power amps I can't afford.

I'm currently fairly GAS-less for guitars, guitar amps, bass amps (mostly) and four-string basses. But I feel a deep burning need for a pair of five-strings. One is an amber Lakland 55-02D with a rosewood fingerboard that I played at the Bass Emporium in Austin. The other was a MTD Heir 5 fretless that a guy brought to a jam session. The current keyboard GAS leans toward either a Nord Electro 2 73, or a Yamaha Motif ES8, depending on the day.