1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever played a gig with provided backline olny to hve it used against you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Michael Case, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Long story short, I started playing in a band with some old buddies. We played a three gigs, I brought my rig to two of the three. The last gig was in a place with a backline, they had an 8X10 and all I needed was a bass and head which I brought. Just recently things feel apart and I was told I wasn't good to be in a band anymore and one of the reasons stated was not bringing gear to gigs. Now I live on the fourth floor of a four story walk up and if I bring gear I have to drive, so of course the chance I had to NOT carry my rig I was taking it.

Have any of you experienced this?

2. Yes, once, as a teenager (19 and 11/12ths haha) filling in for a friend. I got told I wouldn't be called in again because like you, I relied on a backline being present and brought little gear of my own.

Today I run my own band and I bring spare everything, just in case. It's a good habit to get into, even if its a hassle most of the time.

If the only reason was the gear, try calling them back and explaining you made a mistake in assuming you didn't need to bring gear, and in future you will check with your bandmates what gear you should bring. And don't mention the stairs thing. That's not their problem and everyone sacrifices things to making being in a band work.

If it's only one of many reasons they were probably looking for one more reason and you gave it to them. That's bands, and thats' people.

Good luck next time around.

3. That's a pretty lame excuse. There were probably other issues and they were just using that to make their dismissal of you seem more valid.

4. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    That's exactly the sentiment that I was going to make. Could this be a possibility?

S.P.

5. Yeah, I've had problems like that. Is the real reason your fault? Who knows. When bands toss out members without good reasons, they rarely get anywhere.

6. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    That wasn't good enough for them? What rig did you bring to the other two gigs??

Yeah, it was probably a BS excuse. :rollno:

7. These were guys who I had played with many moons ago. We had a rough break up back in the day and went our separate ways. I went on to go to music school, play jazz, and be something similar to a working musician. When I heard from these guys I thought to myself "why not?" I figured it would be a good time, and maybe get back into some heavier music. I had brought a 4X10 + 2X10 + a Hartke HA4000 head to the other gigs (which was overkill for the venues anyway). If the gigs were paid, I'd bring my own rig, since this was a "door" gig I didn't want to A) lug my gear up and down four flights of steps or B) dive to a gig a could take public transit to. These are guys who believe that it's some sort of disgrace that clubs have backlines. They believe that if a band wants to play "professionally" they should have pro gear and not be allowed to rely on the clubs. I know there were other issues, I just thought that this particular one was crap. The other reasons varied from personality differences to not wanting to spend several grand on a recording for a band that's an "expensive hobby" at best. I'm not saying this to insult anybody who is a hobbyist, but I can't afford to spend big bucks on something that has no intention of showing returns.

I made the mistake of looking back and joining these guys in a grab for old glories. In the end it failed and I'm OK with it, I grew past that situation and need to remember that.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sounds like they're still the same and you've grown with your experience, especially with them using such a lame excuse to boot you out of the band.

9. That's it. They had other reasons and used that as an excuse. If it hadn't been that, they would have decided you wore the wrong aftershave or the wrong color socks. Blow it off. When you're assured equipment is there, it's best to scout the location first, but you DO have a reasonable expectation that the equipment will be there.

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    +1. Gear, in my experience, is only a valid reason if you showed up with a bass that kept cutting out and had hum and hiss problems when it was playing. Outside of such an extreme case, the excuse is bogus.

11. Thanks guys, it's cool to vent here.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sounds like the "pay to play" mentality. I suppose they also oppose free drinks and convenient parking. :rolleyes:

13. They are appalled by the thought of earning a few bucks on a gig.

14. A-train

A-train

Nov 22, 2005
    San Antonio,Tx
    Thats such a stupid excuse!I agree with some of the others here.They probably used that as an excuse to hide other reasons.My band(www.thefussrocks.com) plays across the country and I certainly don't bring my rig everywhere!I drive to some gigs and fly to others.Your ex band mates are lame and did you a favor!

15. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    That's what I was thinking. Any band I've ever played with has always made it a point to figure out how to haul LESS stuff around, not more.

16. I agree fully. It's a money pit. Sounds like misguided enthusiasm to me.

17. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    That's total BS. They had another reason & are just too chickensh*t to tell you to your face. At my age(or any age) I always take the opportunity to carry less bass gear. If a club has a working 8X10 & I don't have to bring my rig, HOORAY! When we tour Europe, we never carry backline gear. What would those a**holes think about that? We know a guy who wrote a song & sings it in his act. It goes " I don't like music all that much. I just like hauling heavy stuff." Forget them.