Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you ever played with hurt hand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The question is really broader - have you ever played with a hurt hand, or played really sick with the flu - stuff like that?

I remember years ago, our band had a "real" manager. I was the guitarist at the time and our bass player got really sick. Normally we would have cancelled, but this manager schooled us on how "the show must go on" - you don't cancel in show bizz. So, the bass player sat in a chair, sicker than a dog - I think he had something to throw up in, etc.... but we did the gig.

Skel

2. Loads of these threads in Bass Humour & Gig stories - one of the best being the guy who was held hostage by a Middle Eastern(??? i forget...) mafia!

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i played with a broken middle finger on my fretting hand

4. played bass on keyboard with a broken left wrist once...

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Played with a broken index finger on my plucking hand. It was broken at the knuckle at the end of my finger--by the fingernail.

Needless to say, I was very glad that I can use my ring finger to play also, because my index finger was all but useless that night.

I have played sick a couple of times, but never puking/pooping flu type sick. Just the usual head/chest/achy cold type of sick.

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I played with a burst finger. Smashed it in a rock quarry earlier in the day. Fortunately play with three fingers.

Played after putting my fist through a wall. Was pissed at our booking agent. As long as I played it stayed loose, but after the show and for the next couple of days was vry sore.

I've broken fevers many times on stage. I think it's an excellent cure-all. When I play(ed) in working cover bands and three or four other ppl's livelyhood depends on you there is no backing out. Unless you die -- I 'spose THAT would be excusable,

We MUST carry on -- we're bassists!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You guys are much more hXc than me, I have very dry skin and it busts open all the time and hurts, but I play anyways.... really hard. I've had bloody strings a few times.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Twice I've played with an injured finger.. oddly the same one, my fret hand ring finger.

Once I nearly cut the end off in a kitchen accident. The whole finger was bangaged up and I had to fret with first two fingers.
    The other time I dropped an amp on it loading in to my car. By the time I got to the gig, the nail was all purple and swollen. The drummer got an old guitar string and scraped a hole in the nail to let the preasure out and I was OK for the gig.
    (come out to show them, come out to show them, come out to show them, come out to show them...........)

9. I was gigging with a band back in college, and I got either the flu, or some food poisoning, and was so sick, I sat in a chair off-stage behind the mains and played that night. Man! Don't ever want to go through that again!!!:rollno:

These days I'm playing with arthritis settling into my thumb joints, so it's sore most of the time while I play. Bummer!!!

10. ikareru

ikareru

Jan 8, 2002
    Ferndale, MI
    I had my index and middle fingers on my right hand slammed in the van door a couple hours before what was to be our biggest gig to taht point. I threw my hand in ice up til set time and then played, slapping my upright like a maniac. Worst pain I have played through. My singer wrote "pain is in the mind" on top of my setlist, and I credit that with getting me through-- my hand shook for the rest of the night after the gig, and I couldn't play for several days.

11. Broken left wrist (had the doc put it in a removeable splint instead of a cast so I could bend it to play). Also a broken right thumb, towards the end when it wasn't freshly broken. Still difficult to slap though!

Randy

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    OW!!! And to think - nobody in the audience had any idea and it probably sounded fine - thank God for adrenaline.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Does an ingrown nail on the index finger count? :)

[It was actually very painful leading up to the gig and it scared the heck out of me, thinking I was in trouble. But, it all worked out.]

14. I've played while being ill, but never with an injury to my hands/wrists. There's absolutely no way I would risk worsening the condition.

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I played a show about 3 weeks after chopping the tip of my finger off with a table saw...that was pretty painful, still had the plastic cast on, but every movement stretched it and...well, it hurt.

Periodically, I smash the scar tissue with a hammer at work, it splits from the finger, and invariably this happens a day or so in front of a gig. I've gotten much better at playing with no index finger over the years.

Played with food poisoning once, too. My bandmates said it was some of the best soloing I'd ever done. The room was spinning so bad, I don't remember anything about that gig but the bathroom wall graffiti, which I stared at for quite some time between sets. I don't believe in cancelling a gig unless it's a life/death situation.

16. I played with a broken little finger on my fretting hand. The ligaments either side of the finger were torn/damaged as well. I didn't know it was broken at the time, it just looked swollen and bruised so I wrapped it up and played. I've also played with a sprained thumb on my plucking hand. The bandages gave a really cool muted sound when slapping.