1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you ever protested/picketed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    If so, then why?

I've never protested against against anything, but i'm not opposed to it if given a proper reason.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

3. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    thats a good one. I have a buddy i used to jam with alot (and still do some) that wanted me to play with them at an anti-war rally. I was like "dude...i'm in the F'ing Army..." i've never protested anything, i've never cared enough about anything. if they ban guns and tobacco then maybe i'll protest.

4. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    +1
    But I'm not in the army and I don't use tobacco.

5. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Forest Gump did it.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Our building trades union picketed a Wal-Mart a few years ago.

7. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Good point. I'd do just about anything to get a hot chick in bed,

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    No. I have a real job.

9. ive been to meetings with gov't officials to lobby for certain causes, but have not ever been to a protest or picket. i intend on doing it sometime though. there is nothing like sitting idly by when there is something going on with that you dont agree with.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

A march here and there.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I can't recall that I ever have protested or picketed. I've been involved in issues that I care about but none of them has ever led to a public protest.

But as a fairly apolitical student at Berkeley I found myself unintentionally in the middle of a number of protests. One spring I remember a protest against the UC's decision to eliminate raced based Affirmative Action from its admissions policies. Jesse Jackson was there on Sproul Plaza with a huge crowd around him. All I wanted was a transcript for an internship I was applying for but I couldn't get in because students had taken over and barricaded the administration building.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I'm French.
    'nough said.

13. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Yes. Sometimes it's effective and sometimes not - but at least you get your opinion out there. Haven't done it for a while tho.

14. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    hahaha I went to that college.

Hey my friend Ryan is there.

15. My nose went on strike so I picked it. :bag:

16. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I did twice, once at college for the first gulf war in '90 or so. We were fed a bunch of misinformation about being drafted and what not to get us to protest. It did nothing, the only ones to see it were in the protest.

The second time was to protest the raising of tuition for the CSU and UC colleges. We all went up to Sacramento and protested all day. We ended up inside in front of the assembly doors chanting. Riot cops rounded the corner and started very forcefully removing us from the premises. I ended up getting rolled up pretty good by a riot cop and snuck out of a second story fire escape. At that point protesters were taking the streets by storm, jumping on cars at stoplights, the whole gamut.

The news that night totally spun the story, withholding any info about the riot cops and protesters getting beat down, they made it out to be all our fault and that WE were the violent ones.

Both of these experiences have shown me that protesting does very little if any good. Anyone who cares is already involved and those who don't deem the protesters as radicals and ignore them. There was a time where it did some good but that day has passed. There are much better ways to get change done, grassroots movements to get legislation passed, lobbying congressmen, petitions, PR campaigns, etc.

17. Nope...I have a life.

18. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    our whole school walked out one day, and the provincial government or the school board, some one anyway, took noticed and we got what we wanted.

19. Whenever my high school wanted to do a walkout, everyone would say they'd do it but only about 20 people went through with it. Pretty sure the walk outs they'd plan were for stupid reasons anyway.