Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you ever RE-BOUGHT a piece of gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Please ONLY POST IF you have you ever re-bought a piece of gear you previously sold? same model, maybe not the EXACT unit you actually owned? please explain what makes the product special to you

Like sold a eden wt-400, later bought a different wt-400.

I've come close, but never actually done it. Thought about finding a bass I sold. and possibly getting another Ampeg b50r combo.

[​IMG]

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    did it not once, but twice!

Epifani UL310 and Acme B2 Series II 2x10. oi...

the 310 at the time was too much cab for my little gigging needs, but the T-112 was just right. soon, i needed more volume, and adding a second T-112 wasnt a prospect given the backnumbing weight. another UL310 was on sale at my local shop, and i just had to have it.

the acme debacle was due to myself not understanding EQ or its power needs. was using a measily iAMP-350, and i just wasnt sending it enough juice, nor was playing it flat giving me what i wanted. fast forward 2 yrs. where i heard a friend slamming 900 watts via his mackie power amp, and shaping w/ his Eden Navigator preamp, and i was sold.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    jokerjkny, please explain WHY and if you have time please post pictures to help give people G.A.S. :smug:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I re-bought an EA VL208 Cab - but that was only because the first one was stolen from my car!! :mad:

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sold my EBS cab to GC, then a little over a year later bought it back at a substantial discount. :D

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    this is in the amps forum so maybe doesn't apply: I once sold a MIJ '75 RI Jazz to buy a Stingray 5. I never got over that bass and eventually bought another. It now gets played about 95% of the time and the Stingray is lonely...

I also plan on buying an SVT-II (non pro) to replace one I sold long ago...

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I bought 8 or more bassman heads, not including one particular white one that was bought,sold and re purchased between three friends an untold number of times. They were for the time fairly universal great guitar head, could function as a monitor or even 9shudder0 a PA in some sittuations, as a bass head if you had too.

2 belive it or no Decca bass, still one gas of a short scale.

many portaflexes, gotta love em

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    So far I had an Ibanez Phat head, sold it, (needed the cash). then rebought it used at a local store for less. Just liked it, missed it, wanted it back. Just the other day I got another Morley ABY switcher...eventually I didn't need a Y option in my rig, however recently I'm experimenting with my rig and needed one.

I also have first dibs on my very first bass and combo froma buddy of mine that I sold it to. Every time I have a few extra bucks I think about calling him to see what's up.

9. kringle, care to reply? :D

I would re-purchase 2 amps: Peavey Pro 500, and Sunn 300t

10. Ditto on my Bag End D12EC subwoofer, except it was three years later. No one had even hooked it up!

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Heh, I've done this lots of times.

Amps:
    I've owned 2 GK 800RB & 2 MB150S heads, replaced a Mesa 400+ with a 400, owned 2 Musicman 120-B heads, owned 2 Fender 300 heads (the early '80's rackmount one)

Instruments:
    I sold my first guitar (a 'blackie' '83 strat) and bought another just like it 3 years later, owned 3 MIJ '60's Strats, all sunburst w/maple neck; sold my '91 L-2000 sig in '98, saw it on ebay and rebought it in '04, sold my '86 Ibanez Roadstar 850 in '92, bought it back in '96 (owned 3 of those, BTW), and immediately rebought my '80 Stingray, which I pawned and was accidentally put out for sale (they were selling it for less than I owed for some strange reason).

Pedals:
    I've owned 2 or more of all of these: Boss CE-2, TU-2, CE-2B, CEB-3, & BF-2B; EBS Octabass; EH Bassballs & Small Stone; Trace-Elliot Dual Compressor & Bass EQ; Ibanez Phat-Hed, TS-9 & BC-10.

12. Akai Deep Impact... bought twice and sold twice.

13. I bought my Bag End S15d brand new in 2001. It paired up nicely with my Gol. 3 Jr, but I got caught up in the 1-12 cab craze and sold the BE in 2003. Ended up buying and selling 2 different 1-12 cabs (Aggie & Epi NYC; not that they were bad cabs, they just didn't do it for me). In 2004, the guy I had sold my BE S15d needed the money and was selling it, so I bought it back.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I bought a sold multiple SWR workingman's 12. Great little amp. Consigned the first one and went back a couple of days later and it was gone. Then bought another a few months later. THEN traded it on a bass. Then 2 years later bought another.

I liked the amp alot for small gigs and practices then just realized I don't really have as much use for it since I can just grab a 112 cab and a head and accomplish the same thing

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Two heads that I have re-bought:

AMP BH-420

Aguilar AG500 (had the single channel version first, went off to a few other heads than came back to Aggie and got a dual channel version)

LOVE both of these heads!

16. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Applies more to a bass purchase...sold a cognacburst Godin A4 to help buy a sofa...bought a natural finish A4 a year later.

A few things I have bought twice but not sold one first:

Carvin 210 cab...bought one for gigs and liked it...bought another for rehearsals, but eventually sold both for a Goliath II.

SWR SM-400S...gigged with it for a few years, then bought the SM-400 for rehearsal because it doesn't have a fan to make studio noise. Still have both, but the SM-400S hasn't seen a gig for months because either a GK 700RB or SWR Bass 350 have covered everything.

Zoom 506 pedal...bought one as a headphone amp while out of the country. Sold it upon return and then bought another one as a headphone amp.

Korg rack tuner...bought one, built a duplicate amp rack with a second, and then ditched both to create some open rack space and switch to a pedal tuner.

After I've bought one of something and sold it, I made a personal deal with myself that if I sold the current one, that would be it. So far, I've kept my deal :)

17. Hilarious thread. I've nothing I owned more than once... thus far! :)

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    4 jazz basses
    3 Bass Pod's
    2 Avalon U5's
    2 BDDI's
    2 TU-2's
    2 CEB-3's
    2 SWR Bass 350's
    2 QSC amps
    a number of Rack cases
    some stuff I've forgotten I'm sure

I went back and forth between effects, multi units and different types of gigs. I also was in and out of gigging so I sold stuff thinking I'd never play live again and then have to buy it back when a gig came up.

19. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Never with amps or cabs but I have repurchased a Modulus Q5 after I sold the first one I owned. I also might regret the possible sale of my Eden Navigator for a Thunderfunk in the near future. Hopefully not, only time will tell.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I got burned out, sold my whole rig, and moved to hawaii for a couple years. When I came back and started playing again, I tried some other things but ended up reassebling my old rig:

Ampeg SVP-Pro
    Eden WT-1000
    Eden D-210XLT and D-115XLT

It smokes. Even though I'm now favoring an aggie GS410 again, and am experimenting with a crest CA9, I'm still glad I have the old rig as a "baseline" or point of reference.

I'd also buy back a '95 P bass and a pedulla ET-6 I stupidly sold (at different times) in a heartbeat.